Chicory In Hay

Help Support CattleToday:

Bright Raven

Reaction score
I am feeding some second cutting late season hay. It got a little over mature before harvest. Fescue and other grasses. The concern I have is the chicory. It is about 20 % chicory. I have noticed that hay consumption has dropped since I got into this hay. Is chicory perhaps bitter?

kenny thomas":3i06dxvy said:
Either don't like the taste or the protein is meeting their needs eating less of it. Probably the chicory plus being over mature combined.

How palatable is chicory after it is made into hay to Cows? I rarely notice that they graze it. So I have assumed they don't like it.

True Grit Farms":2jhnjcse said:
Bright Raven":2jhnjcse said:
Stocker Steve":2jhnjcse said:
Chew it or brew it. Only way to know.

The root is dried, ground and used in coffee. I may have to breed some.
If a cow won't eat it why the heck would someone drink it?

It is made into a coffee. THERE ARE MANY THINGS, GRASSHOPPER, THAT HUMANS CONSUME THAT COWS HAVE BETTER SENSE THAN TO EAT.

Bright Raven":2nhntz8x said:
kenny thomas":2nhntz8x said:
Either don't like the taste or the protein is meeting their needs eating less of it. Probably the chicory plus being over mature combined.

How palatable is chicory after it is made into hay to Cows? I rarely notice that they graze it. So I have assumed they don't like it.
It may be kind of an acquired taste for them. Some years I have a pretty heavy growth in my hay fields but I noticed that I didn't have any in the pastures. Thought it was weird until I looked closer and found that it was being eaten all the way to the ground in the pasture.

Lazy M":2yytrq81 said:
Bright Raven":2yytrq81 said:
kenny thomas":2yytrq81 said:

It may be kind of an acquired taste for them. Some years I have a pretty heavy growth in my hay fields but I noticed that I didn't have any in the pastures. Thought it was weird until I looked closer and found that it was being eaten all the way to the ground in the pasture.

You got me wondering. Maybe they do graze it in the pasture. I don't see it in the pasture like I do in the hayfield.

Lazy M":18swouz8 said:
Bright Raven":18swouz8 said:
kenny thomas":18swouz8 said:

Could it be that when its small it's less bitter and also more palatable?

kenny thomas":327it1q0 said:
Lazy M":327it1q0 said:
Bright Raven":327it1q0 said:
Could it be that when its small it's less bitter and also more palatable?
Probably. When it cures it becomes like twigs. They will eat it in hay, but I've noticed that they pick around it some. I think that I've read that it is a legume and adds nitrogen to the soil.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
Dandelion family, not a legume.
Perhaps the cattle would like it better with a dash of sugar and half & half. :lol:
Likely the cultivated forage varieties are much more palatable than run of the mill wild chicory. Salads containing endive and radicchio are served in "tony" restaurants for a hefty price.

76 Bar":2ix7avbg said:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chicory
Dandelion family, not a legume.
Perhaps the cattle would like it better with a dash of sugar and half & half. :lol:
Likely the cultivated forage varieties are much more palatable than run of the mill wild chicory. Salads containing endive and radicchio are served in "tony" restaurants for a hefty price.
Learn something new everyday

It'll give coffee a kick. It's pretty common in S. Louisiana. I love strong coffee but found it pretty bitter myself.
61-EpfFiFaL._SY355_.jpg

greybeard":zehedxyh said:
It'll give coffee a kick. It's pretty common in S. Louisiana. I love strong coffee but found it pretty bitter myself.
61-EpfFiFaL._SY355_.jpg
Community coffee has it's own taste, I like it, but the cook doesn't. So we drink DD coffee at home.

Maybe it's like Golden Ironweed or Wingstem.If they are in with it from the start,they keep it eaten down and it never gets big enough to bloom.Turn in late and they strip the leaves but leave the stalk and bloom to seed.

True Grit Farms":2nxsgxw4 said:
Community coffee has it's own taste, I like it, but the cook doesn't. So we drink DD coffee at home.
An understatement.. /\
I lived in S. La. from 78 thru '95 and drank a lot of Community coffee and tea but never could say I really liked either one. Their coffee, (to me) even freshly brewed always tasted like it had been sitting on the warmer 1/2 a day.
In a regular drip or Mr Coffee, I use Folgers or Hill Bros, but for those Keurig things, I really like this brand and this strength: bold. (I haven't tried the "seattle style dark")

0011225109690_CF_hyvee_default_large.jpeg

I get it at a regional gro store called Brookshires but I imagine it's sold other places too. Cheaper than other brands (36 pods for $14--and yes, that's still robbery) but instead of a plastic thingie that gets pierced, it has a fine flexible mesh net under the bottom. I ain't really cheap, but even tho it says "makes one cup" I get 3 good sized cups of coffee out of one pod without losing much flavor or strength at all on the 3rd cup.

(Been thinking about saving the pods, cutting the foil off the top, dumping the old coffee out and filling them from my can of regular coffee and slapping a piece of duct tape across the top. Probably leak & spew coffee or hot water all over the kitchen tho)

Latest posts