Chickens

Help Support CattleToday:

Calman

Reaction score
Just got the facilities finished to raise about 40 fryers.I've surfed around on the net looking for the best breed.
What are some of ya'll experience with fryers.
In other words I'm looking for the larger and quicker fattening breed.I have butchered several in the past but they were just plain ol barnyard chickens.

Cal

check out idea poutry webbsite as well as mcmurrys webbsite.they have a few broilers there.

MistyMorning":ao38sqag said:
I like the cornish rock x's from Murray McMurray.

This is what I would advise as well. We order freom them every year and I have never been disappointed. Check to see if your feed store doesn't order in chicks live from a supplier, many do.

Nothing better than a chicken that has been raised on dirt and eats bugs. That's real chicken!

I'm up to about 100 or so now...

Most breeding companies have the Cornish Game/Plymouth Rock cross as their fastest growing broiler. When I used the Ross strain, they weighed an average of 5lbs at 6 weeks, hens 4.5 cockrels 5.5.

Chuckie":2q0n0c48 said:
Ain't nothing better than a chicken to break up the manure piles. One sure way to knock out the fly population.
Sounds like you will have your's in a coop though.
Chuckie

I have 12 laying hens and a rooster and when I turn them loose seems like they just hang out on the carport. I didn't mind it all that bad but when the little women went out one night barefooted that was the end of free range chickens.
Course me laughing at her washing out between her toes rekon that just kindled the fire.

Cal

Calman":2xystydo said:
Chuckie":2xystydo said:
Ain't nothing better than a chicken to break up the manure piles. One sure way to knock out the fly population.
Sounds like you will have your's in a coop though.
Chuckie

I have 12 laying hens and a rooster and when I turn them loose seems like they just hang out on the carport. I didn't mind it all that bad but when the little women went out one night barefooted that was the end of free range chickens.
Course me laughing at her washing out between her toes rekon that just kindled the fire.

Cal

With us it was geese using the front porch as their private facilitys.

Calman":1hrs3y3r said:
Cal

My maternal grandmother had free range chickens, although they just called them chickens.
As a country kid in the 1950's I was usually barefoot.
If you ever see a chicken around my place, call the guys with the white jacket. I've had more than one piece of chewing gum between my toes. I've waded in cow poop. I still require disinfecting after we do herd work. I usually am the guy grapping their tails to move them forward in the chute. Something about that chicken-guano just really repulses me.
I enjoy eating chicken--it tastes sorta like rattlesnake. I'll buy mine from someone who enjoys the work.

My Mom had some geese and they would stand on the patio looking inside the windows all the time. Even after it got dark. At first, we thought they were trying to catch the bugs that went toward the light. But that wasn't the case. They were just nosey.

I don't remember the chickens around the front porch. I remember them scratching the piles looking for a little piece of corn. If the place we had was way too big to check the cattle each day, I would feed them the same time of the day, (they come up so I can check them) just enough to let each one get a bite and add about two quarts of corn just to make the chickens look for the corn. Then your fly problem would get a lot smaller. Seems like that surprise piece of corn is what they are looking for. I would do it now, but the cattle aren't up around the house for me to shut them up each night.

I remember when I was a kid and the lady down the road ordered a bunch of Rhode Island Red chickens. I drove her nuts going to her house each day to see them. When they got big enough to tell they were hens and roosters, she gave me one of each. When the hen started laying, she would kind of trot to the barn, I figured out. I finally found the nest, and she laid the biggest brown eggs. I remember running to the house with an extra large one to show Mom. Then when she broke it, I had to be there to see if it was a double yolker.

Odd, how times change. For me, I got tore up over the double yolked eggs, and now I see smaller kids with cell phones text messageing and checking to see how many bars they have everywhere.
Chuckie

Calman":2gr4wm37 said:
Just got the facilities finished to raise about 40 fryers.I've surfed around on the net looking for the best breed.
What are some of ya'll experience with fryers.
In other words I'm looking for the larger and quicker fattening breed.I have butchered several in the past but they were just plain ol barnyard chickens.

Cal

We usually use cornish cross, get them day-old and in about 8 weeks they are (most of them :)) 5-7 pounds.

I appreciate everyone's advice.Looks like I'm going to be getting the Cornish Rock breed. But that will be early spring.You can read all the info you want on the net,but there's nothing like experience of Been there and done that.

Thanks again Cal

Calman":2gvyn7le said:
I appreciate everyone's advice.Looks like I'm going to be getting the Cornish Rock breed. But that will be early spring.You can read all the info you want on the net,but there's nothing like experience of Been there and done that.

Thanks again Cal

Start small. If you don;t mind it you can go bigger the next time. We did 100 the first (and last) time we did it. That was I think around 1968.

dun":2ycvi1zx said:
Start small. If you don;t mind it you can go bigger the next time. We did 100 the first (and last) time we did it. That was I think around 1968.

This is the best advice you can get. Butchering 25 isn't that fun. If you butcher 50 you may never want to eat the darn things!

Well I done done it. Got 20 little chicks yesterday. Followed ya'lls advise and got cornish rocks.
Sure are hungery little buggers.

Cal

Good for you! Where did you end up getting them from? I LOVE getting my chicks in ~ my youngest girl and I always make the run to pick them up, it never gets old. I buy a variety of banties so everyone looks different. I need to get on the ball ordering ducklings or duck eggs to hatch or I am going to miss that boat.

angie":3vjsbghj said:
Good for you! Where did you end up getting them from? I LOVE getting my chicks in ~ my youngest girl and I always make the run to pick them up, it never gets old. I buy a variety of banties so everyone looks different. I need to get on the ball ordering ducklings or duck eggs to hatch or I am going to miss that boat.

I bought them from the local feed store. I was going to get 40 but after reading the inputs on this thread i was led to believe that when they were ready to butcher it had to be done all at once,because they would get too fat. I just couldn't see me butchering 40 chickens by hand in one or 2 days.

Cal

Latest posts