Chickens with a cold?

Help Support CattleToday:

contreras6

Reaction score
I have some chickens and some of them have been getting "sick". their eyes get all white and full of puss and then shut. some of them get runny noses. after bout 2 weeks they die. does anybody know what is wrong???

Thanks
Contreras6

How high is the ammonia level in their pen? Hard to say with so little info, but sounds like ammonia burn.

Chickens are prone to respatory problems. Get some terramycin that mixes with the water and start them on it according to the directions on the package. Should clear it up.

Medicated feed. I have never had that problem, although I have heard chickens sound like they sneeze. Make sure the pen is well ventilated. Could be a virus.

Lammie":17yv0bvm said:
Medicated feed. I have never had that problem, although I have heard chickens sound like they sneeze. Make sure the pen is well ventilated. Could be a virus.

Medicated is a good preventative measure. At this time however, more is better. Get the mix to go in the water.

I wouldn't know. The only thing I use that 's medicated is chick starter. Storey's Guide To Raising Chickens is a good book to own if you are starting out and have questions. I have used it frequently. I have divested myself of my chickens lately. Hateful nasty things. I will start over with a new set and not nearly as many this time. I hate toting waterers. It's a good exercise, though, especially when you have a young 'un around to do it for you.

thanks for the info. is there a special kind of medicated food? like for different illnesses or does it just say medicated feed? also they have been laying eggs. im not sure if the sick ones have but is it safe to eat the eggs??

Check your local feed stores and see what they have that's medicated. If you can't find grower or layer pellets that's medicated, feed them some medicated chick starter for a few weeks.

Don't depend on that to make them well. Get the antibiotics to mix with the water and start them on it now.

Latest posts