Chickenless heads.

Help Support CattleToday:

So it pulled the head/neck off and took the body? Normally its the exact opposite. Not sure how an animal could remove the head without eating it?

skeeter swatter":1fr7vnsg said:
Anyone have any idea what will take chickens, leaving only the head and neck?

On close inspections do they look chewed off, chopped off or wrung off. I have seen the other way around before.

jltrent":2it7xkdv said:
skeeter swatter":2it7xkdv said:
Anyone have any idea what will take chickens, leaving only the head and neck?

On close inspections do they look chewed off, chopped off or wrung off. I have seen the other way around before.

Same here, I have seen the other way around several times, I attribute that to raccoons. Not sure what a mink or weasel kill would look like but if I remember right, they attack the neck and eat the blood mainly, I doubt they would or could carry off a chicken carcass. A fox or coyote would take the whole chicken.

greybeard":23f26cct said:
Sounds more like man than animal..

That's what I thought. I haven't actually seen the carnage, my sil called and said she had three chickenless heads and a couple more just missing (chickenless chickens?).

Unless the carcasses (or parts of them) are found buried/hidden nearby, I can't think of any winged or 4 legged predator that would take the body and just leave the head.

Were more than one found like that or missing over a night. I find it hard to believe that most animals like the usual suspects would eat more than one a night, unless maybe like raccoons in a sweet corn patch. Are the chickens roosting in a coop? Are there signs like shoe prints? Maybe look around for other property missing, if a person is doing it then they might be helping themselves to other things too. Maybe try a trail camera. I haven't had anybody steal chickens but did have some fellers working years ago and finally concluded that they were the common denominator to not getting any eggs the days they were there. Those individuals were not from another country they were from right around these parts.

Some folks feel that tramps won't steal but i found 3 in my cornfield and I'm on my way......one had a bushel, one had a peck,one had a roastin ear tied around his neck...

On quail pens, cats will come up at night and just pluck the heads off quail for no real reason other than they are sick demented creatures.