Chicken?

Help Support CattleToday:

kickinbull

Reaction score
I've been all over the net trying to figure out what's going on with our farm flock. We are getting runny yolk eggs. A big percentage of total. Why?
They are getting ground chicken feed 15%. Have a large run. Lots of grit. Their pen is right next to garden and I toss stuff over to them. So they have been getting fresh veggies. Tomatoes and squash.

I am no way an expert but how old are your chickens? How long do you leave the eggs out before picking them up?

After reading your post I became curious myself so I did a Google. After the Google my guess is it's a nutritional problem, but just a guess.

skyhightree1":1revnp26 said:
I am no way an expert but how old are your chickens? How long do you leave the eggs out before picking them up?
Chickens are from 1 to 5 years and we gather every 2-3 days.

kickinbull":c19n06og said:
skyhightree1":c19n06og said:
Chickens are from 1 to 5 years and we gather every 2-3 days.

I wonder if leaving them out in the heat could be a reason.. speculating because I really don't know but I collect my eggs daily.

If you have high temps and leave the eggs in it for 3 days, then I'd say the vitelline membrane surrounding the yolk is breaking down and allowing water in from the albumen. Have you noticed if the intact yolks are round or flat? If they are flat that's your most likely problem. I'd gather daily. edit to add: It's also possible they could be coming from your 5 year birds as their eggs will not be quality.

Cross-7":2a8byv8n said:
Gather your eggs everyday
Correct answer. Also the old hens won;t have eggs that hold up as well as the younger ones. Heat just makes it worse.

Gather every day, they are starting breakdown/spoil after 2-3 days. I always gathered every day, had some that missed due to not finding and after two days they started to even smell bad. Old hens need to be made into chicken and dumplings, just like cattle they don't produce as well when they get 3 and older, more feed less eggs.

kickinbull":1dnmhgc7 said:
I've been all over the net trying to figure out what's going on with our farm flock. We are getting runny yolk eggs. A big percentage of total. Why?
They are getting ground chicken feed 15%. Have a large run. Lots of grit. Their pen is right next to garden and I toss stuff over to them. So they have been getting fresh veggies. Tomatoes and squash.
Not really a chicken man myself, but I agree with the heat maybe being a factor. I know in my part of the world, feeding chicken scratch is not sufficient enough of a feed for chickens that are laying. A good quality laying pellet or crumble would probably help out a lot.

TN Cattle Man":29mn2e3j said:
kickinbull":29mn2e3j said:
Not really a chicken man myself, but I agree with the heat maybe being a factor. I know in my part of the world, feeding chicken scratch is not sufficient enough of a feed for chickens that are laying. A good quality laying pellet or crumble would probably help out a lot.

I feed unlimited brewers grain and in a 30 lb feeder layer mash/crumble and oyster shell mixed in good clean water.
Edited feed grass clippings too

Thanks for responses. I have been collecting the eggs daily now. (was wifes project) It's much better.

kickinbull":3rbotu1s said:
Going to be hard to isolate the cause but I'd start by going up to an 18% crude protein layer ration. Pick up eggs twice a day if possible and see too if you can determine which chickens are producing the runny eggs. Some of it can be hereditary and some will be "old age". In your case age is probably not a factor.

Latest posts