Chicken vs Beef

Help Support CattleToday:

Son of Butch

Reaction score
Americans eat 91 lbs of chicken per year.
Shenandoah Valley Organic Chicken has a new business model for targeting Tyson/Perdue market share.
Farmer owned organic chicken raised on family farms called "Farmer Focus" Organic Hand Cut Chicken, committed
to the highest ethical standards.

Sale pitch highlights:
Farmer owned and raised
Free range
Certified humane
No antibiotics - Ever
Non GMO verified
Farm ID code on every package of the farm where the chicken was raised
Consumers can go online, enter the ID code and meet the farm family to read story of how their chickens are raised.

Honestly there is nothing listed that makes the chicken any better or safer to eat than Tyson's; just more expensive.
BUT the Good Will created by making a personal connection to the family farm that raised it, might be a big deal.
Will it be a game changer?

IF this business plan succeeds....
Could it be a successful model for selling Premium Beef to American (yuppies) Consumers?

The gullibility of the American consumer never ceases to amaze me.
'We cared for it, provided for it, nurtured it, fed it nothing bad, put nothing undesirable in it's food................and then we cut it's benice head off..but in a nice way..'

Sounds great to me. I'm all for adding value, increasing demand, and building a connection to our rural areas. Yuppies or not people like hearing and buying into a story/idea/vision. Industrialization of our food systems certainly isn't going to stop or even slow, but there is a real interest in knowing where our food comes from, and how it's handled. And at the risk of being labeled a liberal I'll admit I think that's a good thing.

We have created a true disconnect from rural life in just a few short generations and are accelerating. This has also created ideal opportunities for niche markets. I'll sell a product with a story over commodity any day of the week. And yes, this model in various forms is succeeding. Check out Niman Ranch, comes to mind as one of the more diversified models.

It is a fact that you should sell the program ,not the product. The thing I do not care for is when they try to trash the other producers instead of highlighting there product.

Can't imagine ANY farmer owns enough chickens to keep up with production.

shaz":2mq241a0 said:
Can't imagine ANY farmer owns enough chickens to keep up with production.
IF not from farms where do you think chickens come from?

Can you imagine ANY farmer selling enough steers direct to a packer to earn a volume bonus?

Beef is doing similar with all the Farm To Table. Not necessarily promoting organic NO antibiotics ever but Creekstone Farms Premium Beef brings a lot of their big customers to the ranch for marketing opportunities. They get to take pics & videos hand-feeding, bottle feeding, petting, walking through my herd so they can post on their websites/show all their customers how they purchase & subsequently serve happy, healthy cows. But Creekstone also takes them to feedlots and through their slaughter process so the customer is truly aware it's not all green grass & sunshine.

TCRanch":159hs0c1 said:
Beef is doing similar with all the Farm To Table. Not necessarily promoting organic NO antibiotics ever but Creekstone Farms Premium Beef brings a lot of their big customers to the ranch for marketing opportunities. They get to take pics & videos hand-feeding, bottle feeding, petting, walking through my herd so they can post on their websites/show all their customers how they purchase & subsequently serve happy, healthy cows. But Creekstone also takes them to feedlots and through their slaughter process so the customer is truly aware it's not all green grass & sunshine.

Do they pay the advertising fee that we pay at the sale barn. If they do okay otherwise they are riding on our nickle.

The problem with chicken is they're grown too big. A whole dressed chicken should weigh 3 lbs, not 5 or 6 lbs.

GA.prime..do you not remember when whole chickens in the grocery store were that big..30-40 years ago?
Then, they became little scrawny things for 10-15 years and now have become 5 pounders again.
(not sure what happened during the 'scrawny' era, but there sure wasn't much to a 'fryer' at that time..)

Jogeephus":3rer6bik said:
Someone will make a killing off this. Probably not the producer but those who are doing the certifying surely will. People want to feel a connection with their food.

Many folks want cheap food from a factory. Some folks want good food from a local, but are often confused by labels and certifications.

Local grass fed producers here are struggling to compete with not cool imports. Are there good examples were producers benefited from a local brand, or are quality food producers limited to one on one relationship selling?

marketing is about the cheapest..ever heard of dollar meals?

make it cheap enough for food stamps and youll be set for life

hurleyjd":3jnid328 said:
TCRanch":3jnid328 said:

Do they pay the advertising fee that we pay at the sale barn. If they do okay otherwise they are riding on our nickle.
I have no problem allowing them to promote BQA & humane treatment & do not expect to be compensated. Although the Director of Cattle Procurement is also tied to a family operation/feedlot and they purchase the majority of my steers, the majority of my heifers are bought as replacements by another associate.

Latest posts