Chicken Litter

Help Support CattleToday:

garseer

Reaction score
Anyone ever use chicken litter on there rye grass and if not what other fertilize would be good. I had a pasture planted with rye grass a couple of years ago and put chicken litter on it and man it really grew good. Just wondering if anyone else used the stuff.

Quite a few folks out here in Central Texas use Turkey liter on their pastures since we only have turkey houses in this particular area. Seems to do well for rye, wheat and/or oats as well as spring native pasture. Depending on where you get it a dead turkey might come flying out of the spreader occasionally.

garseer":2s0i73ml said:
Anyone ever use chicken litter on there rye grass and if not what other fertilize would be good. I had a pasture planted with rye grass a couple of years ago and put chicken litter on it and man it really grew good. Just wondering if anyone else used the stuff.
Sure, I have but using CL for many many years will build soil P too high and also there are a lot of Minerals in CL which I really dont like salt in my soil. In a time of high fertilizer prices I am like you I am alwys looking at alternatives. Rye Grass only needs a little N in early Spring in TX, so you could always put 125- 150 lbs of DAP (46 - 0 - 0) out there.

T

4CTophand":2oc48uj0 said:
garseer":2oc48uj0 said:
Sure, I have but using CL for many many years will build soil P too high and also there are a lot of Minerals in CL which I really dont like salt in my soil. In a time of high fertilizer prices I am like you I am alwys looking at alternatives. Rye Grass only needs a little N in early Spring in TX, so you could always put 125- 150 lbs of DAP (46 - 0 - 0) out there.

T

Over here chicken litter will give you much more bang for your buck than DAP, but spreading can be a problem depending on how dry/fine the CL is. DAP here is extremely expensive and the risk of getting the P too high here is negligible.

The recommendations for rye grass that I have read calls for quite heavy N applications after each grazing, but I guess what is required in SA, NZ, Australia and the UK doesn't neccesarily apply where you are.

Chemical fertilisers typically has a much higher risk of acidifying the soil as well as a built up of salts than organic fertiliser, atleast here in SA.

KNERSIE":923ifyr2 said:
The recommendations for rye grass that I have read calls for quite heavy N applications after each grazing, but I guess what is required in SA, NZ, Australia and the UK doesn't neccesarily apply where you are.
In my part of the coutry ryegrass pastures will benifit from a fall application of complete fertilizer (got to get it growing) with a topdress of nitrogen in the spring. How much it benifits is determined by rainfall (no rain and it dies) and how long it stays hot (doesn't grow much or either dies if it stays to hot).

If your intention is to have a ryegrass pasture for grazing and in December and January you can see every place a cow did her duty because it is 10 inches tall, dark green and thriving while the rest of the pasture is 4 inches tall and just sitting their. You would have benefited if your would have fertilized it in the fall. Waiting till spring wastes a lot of grazing time. But if you don't want it for grazing before March or April, waiting till later is not a problem. What is highly evident at this time, fertilizer doesn't work if you don't put it out, it won't work if you do put it out and it doesn't rain. If you do have the "golden touch", put it out at the right time, get the rains on que, it is no longer inexpensive to do so.

If your intention is to have a ryegrass pasture for grazing and in December and January you can see every place a cow did her duty because it is 10 inches tall, dark green and thriving while the rest of the pasture is 4 inches tall and just sitting their. You would have benefited if your would have fertilized it in the fall. Waiting till spring wastes a lot of grazing time. But if you don't want it for grazing before March or April, waiting till later is not a problem. What is highly evident at this time, fertilizer doesn't work if you don't put it out, it won't work if you do put it out and it doesn't rain. If you do have the "golden touch", put it out at the right time, get the rains on que, it is no longer inexpensive to do so.[/quote]

In some areas of the country Rye Grass (annual) will not produce much until early Spring because it is too warm in early fall, so putting N out in the Fall is bad business since N will leach readily and any N application has a useful period not more than 70 days
Also make sure we are all talking about the same thing i.e. Annual RyeGrass vs Perennial ryegrass
T

EAT BEEF":2dhg3wy1 said:
Dap is 18-46-0= 18 n,46 phos
Urea is 46-0-0 = 46 n

Well I wasnt' going to say anything but since you noticed it too I guess we'll just give him a big :lol: :lol: :lol:

I guess I am dumb but I thought the annual was cereal rye and the perennial grass variety was rye grass

And I use turkey liiter in the fall at the time of planting or right after and I have good results especially if I am tillage planting and incorporate it into the soil if no-tilling I put it on after drilling and it works the next spring really well because of being slow release

TexasBred":1b3wqdpo said:
EAT BEEF":1b3wqdpo said:
Dap is 18-46-0= 18 n,46 phos
Urea is 46-0-0 = 46 n

Well I wasnt' going to say anything but since you noticed it too I guess we'll just give him a big :lol: :lol: :lol:

Simple error. It is bound to happen with the quantity of informative posts provided. I know you and others are probably biased, but 'T' is writing good information much unlike other social posters (I am not implying you are a social poster).

Latest posts