chicken litter

Help Support CattleToday:

No experience. Chickens are nasty critters (like pigs) in the pens. Don't think I would want to feed chicken manure to any livestock. It works well for tilling into gardens in the Fall, though. Regular feed is much more predictable and safe. Knew of one largescale poultry farm in the Denver area who manufactured lawn fertilizer pellets from chicken manure and grass clippings from his sod farm.

[email protected]

> No experience. Chickens are nasty
> critters (like pigs) in the pens.
> Don't think I would want to feed
> chicken manure to any livestock.
> It works well for tilling into
> gardens in the Fall, though.
> Regular feed is much more
> predictable and safe. Knew of one
> largescale poultry farm in the
> Denver area who manufactured lawn
> fertilizer pellets from chicken
> manure and grass clippings from
> his sod farm. I don't disagree that chicken litter shouldn't be fed but would you mind explaining to me what makes you say pigs are such nasty critters too ??

Hi! Nothing against swine (4 legged kind). My reference was to what is usually observed in the "normal" chicken and hog pens (not those computerized, antiseptic production factories). Chickens and hogs are messy eaters, wallow in their on droppings and stuff. On the other hand, pork is one of my favorite meats next to beef.

Farm I grew up on had herefords, angus, chickens, few sheep, and some hogs. I had to clean out chicken houses and slop hogs as one of my chores...I hated that work. Was too young to feed cattle. Sheep were pretty much on their own. We occasionally killed a hog in winter, cured pork, made sausage. Dad also had some registered sheep and hogs he showed--of course, they all went to the beauty shop first...lol.

Hogs and others in the show circuit is the pretty side of livestock. Downside of livestock is the poorly managed hog farms (effluent waste polution), backyard chicken raisers, and the meat factories that produce thousands of animals in tiny pens that never get normal life and are fattened up for slaughter (aka veal calves, etc.).

No, I'm not a PETA activist (God forbid!) or a rabid animal rights, environmentalist vegetarian. However, I do believe in breeding and raising livestock in a humane, nature-friendly environment where they can "be livestock" until they are eaten.

We raise registered Texas Longhorns and Gaited Horses...and we pamper them all...:) Bill.

[email protected]

> I am considering feeding chicken
> litter to brood cows. Anybody have
> any experience with this feed?

I have heard alot og different feeds but i have never heard that one before, I would be careful that someone isn't pulling your leg or scamming you, It seems like their are alot better byproducts out their like gluten and stuff that you would be way better off with

Yes litter is a good cow feed, BUT, I would NOT use it even if I were given it. Why? As I understand it, chickens eat BONE MEAL that is ruminant derived, and doing this is only setting us all up for one big case of BSE.

Japan's minister of agriculture concluded that the seven cases of BSE found there was caused by residual contamination of cattle feed by feed made previously on the same production line used to make feed for chickens and pigs. So it has been proven, so to speak!

Read about this on MyCattle.com at:

<A HREF="http://www.mycattle.com/news/dsp_topstories_article.cfm?storyid=10609" TARGET="_blank">http://www.mycattle.com/news/dsp_topstories_article.cfm?storyid=10609</A>

Bill
> Hi! Nothing against swine (4
> legged kind). My reference was to
> what is usually observed in the
> "normal" chicken and hog
> pens (not those computerized,
> antiseptic production factories).
> Chickens and hogs are messy
> eaters, wallow in their on
> droppings and stuff. On the other
> hand, pork is one of my favorite
> meats next to beef.

> Farm I grew up on had herefords,
> angus, chickens, few sheep, and
> some hogs. I had to clean out
> chicken houses and slop hogs as
> one of my chores...I hated that
> work. Was too young to feed
> cattle. Sheep were pretty much on
> their own. We occasionally killed
> a hog in winter, cured pork, made
> sausage. Dad also had some
> registered sheep and hogs he
> showed--of course, they all went
> to the beauty shop first...lol.

> Hogs and others in the show
> circuit is the pretty side of
> livestock. Downside of livestock
> is the poorly managed hog farms
> (effluent waste polution),
> backyard chicken raisers, and the
> meat factories that produce
> thousands of animals in tiny pens
> that never get normal life and are
> fattened up for slaughter (aka
> veal calves, etc.).

> No, I'm not a PETA activist (God
> forbid!) or a rabid animal rights,
> environmentalist vegetarian.
> However, I do believe in breeding
> and raising livestock in a humane,
> nature-friendly environment where
> they can "be livestock"
> until they are eaten.

> We raise registered Texas
> Longhorns and Gaited Horses...and
> we pamper them all...:) Bill.

I know of a rancher who uses CL as a protein supplement to commercial feeds. However, they also make a high magnesium mineral available to the herd.

> I have heard alot og different
> feeds but i have never heard that
> one before, I would be careful
> that someone isn't pulling your
> leg or scamming you, It seems like
> their are alot better byproducts
> out their like gluten and stuff
> that you would be way better off
> with

[email protected]