Chicken Litter

Help Support CattleToday:

Dvperez81

Reaction score
Bayside (5 boroughs) NY . El Peten Guatemala .
My godfather has a ranch when he feeds his bulls chicken poop :lol: with some type of concetrated grain I don't know what it is because I havent asked all the details . What I do know is the chicken litter he gets from his egg farm . I know he has 4 chickens per cage/pen and underneath is a conveyer belt which keeps rolling and brings the chicking litter to the ouside of shed and they place them in sacks 100lbs maybe . The results I have seen are that some of his 1 year olds are close to about maybe 800-900lbs . how safe is this practice ?? what are the cons ?

Dvperez81":rrljzo3v said:
My godfather has a ranch when he feeds his bulls chicken poop :lol: with some type of concetrated grain I don't know what it is because I havent asked all the details . What I do know is the chicken litter he gets from his egg farm . I know he has 4 chickens per cage/pen and underneath is a conveyer belt which keeps rolling and brings the chicking litter to the ouside of shed and they place them in sacks 100lbs maybe . The results I have seen are that some of his 1 year olds are close to about maybe 800-900lbs . how safe is this practice ?? what are the cons ?

You have just tossed a grenade into the room.

Perhaps they will go easy on you - it is a banned feed in Canada and will likely be banned in the U.S. of A. very soon.

For good reason - if you need the complete story i would be happy to tell you but not tonight.

Good luck on this one.

Bez'

Dvperez81":7mhppona said:
If yall look at his first post, he stated the Ranch is in Guatamala. This is my number one reason for wanting to see a label of origin on everything in the Grocery Store. NAFTA,CAFTA, and the rest of the BS are putting American Consumers at risk.IF we are to remain supporting a Global economy, we better darn sure know where things come from. Especially our food.

Dvperez81":1ehc5hb6 said:

At present, ruminant products are being mixed into chicken feed by many chicken feed manufacturers. (bone meal, etc.) If the spillage of this chicken feed is being fed to cattle, the prion cycle is possibly being perpetuated in cattle feed.

The practice of feeding chicken litter is frowned on but not illegal in the U.S. I personally think the cattle business would be better served by using chicken litter as a fertilizer only.

Mike I could not agree more. Chicken litter is the best fertilizer I have ever used. That stuff will grow grass in a rock if it rains a little. It does not however make the best feed. You need to mix it to get the cows started on it and it does not make them grow like other feeds do. I think the better value for chicken litter is to feed the good quality grass that litter fertilizer makes. With fertilizer hitting $300 a ton and still going up, why not spread some litter?

I realize this is a cattle board, but do you guys have a problem with feeding dead chickens to hogs? ;-)

alabama":3p1r93zw said:
Mike I could not agree more. Chicken litter is the best fertilizer I have ever used. That stuff will grow grass in a rock if it rains a little. It does not however make the best feed. You need to mix it to get the cows started on it and it does not make them grow like other feeds do. I think the better value for chicken litter is to feed the good quality grass that litter fertilizer makes. With fertilizer hitting $300 a ton and still going up, why not spread some litter?

While I agree that it is a very good fertilizer,it is not without problems in that venue as well. My neighbor put out some litter on his pasture hoping to save some money over commercial.He has two black limmie bulls,both of them came down with lepto,as well as a few of his cows.I suspect it came from the litter.....not to mention the weeds,thistle,etc. :shock: :cboy:

Bez is right - chicken litter will be outlawed for cattle feed very soon. USDA already proposed it and there is little opposition to it.

If your ranch is in Guatamela, you might want to consider the reprecussions. We had 1 case in a dairy cow and we lost nearly all of our export markets. It took us years to get back what we do have. Although the chance of BSE from chicken litter is slight it is still there.

We've used chicken litter to fertilize our hay fields and learned a hard lesson on that too. If it's put out in the fall after last hay is cut and let set all winter it works great. But my father in law decided to fertilize one spring about 2 years ago and the field burnt to a crisp. One small 4 1/2 acre hay field that we were getting 25 round bales off of on average went down to 4 and 5 bales....after one winter and no fertilizer at all on it, with lots of rain, it finally came back. So my advice is to only fertilize with chicken litter in the fall, and only if you live in an area that gets a fair amount of rainfall thru the winter.

I remember a few years back hearing an OSU Extension person talk about feeding litter mixed with corn, grain or something. The gist I got from him was that it had very little nutrition value from the litter. It would just be filler mixed with the corn.

I would not feed that to my cattle, there's too much risk of them coming down with BSE. I would only use the chicken litter to fertilize. If your grand father is doing this now I would strongly urge him to stop. Very risky.

You're right about that grenade thing Bez'. If you remember I posted a topic on growth implants recently and that one got'em a little cranked up, this one should be a doozie. Using chicken litter good luck. I would rather eat something that was implanted than something that ate that stuff. Well, I did some research on implants and have yet to find any shortcomings. Here are two definitions I found that might help, but as far as feeding that litter, can't see that one lasting long here. (Implants: All growth-promoting hormone products used in the U.S. beef industry are manufactured as implants, which are placed beneath the skin on the back side of an animals ear. Hormones: Naturally occuring chemical substances in all animals that affect such things as growth and development. Hormones are present naturally in virtually all foods of plant or animal orgin. Those two definitions came from my Texas Cow-Calf and Stocker, Beef Safety and Quality Assurance Handbook.)

Crowderfarms":1sxf0vtn said:
Dvperez81":1sxf0vtn said:
If yall look at his first post, he stated the Ranch is in Guatamala. This is my number one reason for wanting to see a label of origin on everything in the Grocery Store. NAFTA,CAFTA, and the rest of the BS are putting American Consumers at risk.IF we are to remain supporting a Global economy, we better darn sure know where things come from. Especially our food.

I agree with Crowderfarms that M-COOL is necessary- and we should be strengthening our firewalls against BSE rather than weakening them as USDA is now doing... The longterm health of the US cattle herd and US consumer is too important to start dropping restrictions just so the packing industry can reap the results......Especially when we are dealing with a disease that the science behind it is made up entirely of theory and hypothesis...I still can not believe that anyone would feed cattle chickensh*t :mad:

From an ongoing experiment by Danny Matthews a UK research veterinarian.

He injected cattle with brain tissue at increasing low rates in order to see how small a dose would result in BSE being transmitted and what the incubation would be

5 cattle injected @ 1g; resulted in 3 cases of BSE at 59, 65, 73 months
15 cattle injected @ 0.1g; resulted in 3 cases at 55, 57, 62 months

15 @ 0.01g; resulted in 1 case at 57 months
15 @ 0.001g resulted in 1 case at 69 months

Experiment currently 79 months post infection as at September 2004

D Matthews VLA

Dvperez81":3dsaxudd said:

Quit feeding chicken sh?t!!!! Quit the practice immediately!!!! Chickens are the among the nastiest and most diseased animals on this planet. I can't imagine feeding their sh?t to cattle that you intend to eat. Plenty of other info on this subject without my adding to it.

I agree with all those posts in opposition to feeding chicken litter (sh?t)!.

my pasture gets fertilized with Canada Goose turds. not volunatarily. :help:
pond is covered in feathers.