Chicken Houses

Help Support CattleToday:

circlew

Reaction score
Anyone on here have any chicken houses? We've been thinking about getting some. We like the idea of pullet houses. Gonna call the chicken dealers and find out some more info. What have yall heard about them?

I know some people that wish they had never built their houses. Just be sure you read that contract real close.

I've got a couple uncles who have some who will help me with the contract lingo. What kind of houses did your friends have?

Be VERY careful
Its not been a good industry to be in the last 15-20 yrs and I think its going to get worse until feed prices drop.
Around here the companies are contracting and leaving the growers hanging.

The ONLY ones around here that have done any good at all put in 6 or more houses- they could spread the fixed costs out more.

Ours got blown down(we had insurance) and it was the only thing that saved us from a long term loosing proposition.

I own one! It came with the purchase of a bankrupt farm I bought and where a relative now lives. (The chicken house is what put the farm into receivership.) The relative operates the chicken house and produces hatching eggs for the broiler industry. This does subsidize the relatives income received from being a school teacher. Owning a chicken house IMO is like "owing your soul to the company store". The producer takes all the risks and receives meager returns. You, the producer, will have the sole responsibility for the debt of the building and no real guarantee that you will remain the supplier. I know of an adjacent county where all the producers were dropped and the houses are now empty. The banks are trying to get their money but the producers have nothing to generate it as there is no other chicken companies in the area. Producers are nothing but puppets on a string that have to respond to each and ever whim. My relative told me only yesterday that the company he is contracted with told him he had to install some more new fans. Just last Summer the relative installed 5 new fans at his expense and was going to upgrade the remainder but was told there is "no need". Now he has to! Some time back he was told that he had to upgrade all the lighting, again his dime, and they told him what lights he was to use. I knew that there was some newer designed lights for poultry houses and I asked to permission to install the newer more energy efficient ones. Response was NO! At that time I still had a strong say so and I told them I was going to shut the house down. That impacted their position and I was then asked to review my proposal with their "". Low and behold they gave in and have since switched other houses to the same lighting. Had I had a huge investment in the house I could not have taken such a position and they well understand the power they yield in most situations. Personally I would not put my money onto a chicken operation nor would I sign for the debt obligation for such a venture.

God was looking out for us :)

Actually it was REAL bad
Hubby and the crew were in the house unloading chicks when it hit.
It lifted the whole roof up and then dropped it back down.
There was only 70 ft of the house left standing - and it was right where they were with the truck. And right by the center door so they could just walk out. The biddie bus(parked outside) looked like a porcupine- it had twoxfours stuck thru it everywhere.
Only wish I could have changed one thing- Hubby turned off the gas first thing to save the truck/and biddies.
Hindsight--- should have let it burn- I would have hated it for the chicks but it would have saved us alot of money cleaning that mess up. And the company didn't even appreciate what we went thru trying to save them- certainly didn't compensate us for our time/expenses.

Latest posts