chicken feed and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

My 10 month old heifer is licking the chicken feed that I throw out for the turkey chick(who hangs out with the calf and thinks it's her mom). It is small amounts, but I've read somewhere that chicken feed is a big problem for cattle to eat. I'm working on locking one up while the other eats, but wanted to find out if I'm stressing for nothing if it is a little bit. The feed is unmedicated game bird feed (otherwise known as meatbuilder). Thanks

[email protected]

One problem is that cattle should not be fed animal proteins from ruminants. I don't know what's in the chicken feed, but it's possible that there are forbidden proteins in there.

i have a shetlander stallion running around with the chickens and he eats chickenfeed all the time, for more than ten years now, never hurt him one bit. so i suppose it won't hurt cattle either, although there is the point of the allowed proteins, not that they're harmfull.

[email protected]

> One problem is that cattle should
> not be fed animal proteins from
> ruminants. I don't know what's in
> the chicken feed, but it's
> possible that there are forbidden
> proteins in there. In the U. S. ruminant proteins are not allowed because of the fear of mad cow spreading should it ever get to this country. That regulation was put in force in 1996, when the goverment thought it was likely mad cow was here and we didn't know it yet. It is nearly controlled everywhere it has been found and its very unlikely it will ever be found in the U. S.

[email protected]

Latest posts