Chicken Coop

Help Support CattleToday:

In my layer pen I have chain link around the yard. For the ground protection I tilled around the fence and attached chicken wire to the chain link, then layed the wire down and away from the fence in the tilled area. That was much easier and faster than digging a deep trench. I covered the wire with dirt so digging predators dig into the wire and will give up. I've had mine for four years and nothing has made it to the inside so far.

skyhightree1":9paktc5n said:
I had chickens at my old house and got rid of them when we moved and kids want some chickens again. I will get some baby chicks in the spring but I wondered how many laying hens would yall recommend to put in a 10x10x6 pen... Well the pen is a chain link dog kennel that I plan on putting chain link on the bottom so nothing can dig in and chain link at the top to keep the hawks out. I was gonna stick the roosing boxes on the outside of the fence propbably with a little hole for them to walk up in and out. Anyone have something similar ? :help:

I would recommend buying several laying hens now for the eggs. By the time the chicks are mature enough to start laying, most people would have forgotten what they bought them for.

greybeard":1leaise3 said:
Since we're on the subject of the gospel bird, anyone have an insight to an automatic waterer and automatic feeder for about 16 birds? B-I-L and sister are getting tired of paying someone to come over and feed/water their egg machines while they are of on their monthly mini-vacations/timeshare thingies.

gb, get a 55 gallon barrel and build an elevated stand so that the barrel is laying in a horizontal position. Then get a water a water facet that has been drilled and tapped for a water line like the old water coolers used to use. Run a small water line from a small cut off valve that has been screwed into the side of the water facet to a float valve and connect it to a small galvanized feed pan. Be sure to cover the water pan to keep the cheekens from stepping into the pan but still leaving it open enough for them to drink from it.

For the feed, get a deer feeder with a timer on it and adjust the amount of feed.

I know this is a little late but...

Mix all the breeds you want, I've never met a bigoted chicken :lol2:

I like the redstar/red sex link for high production brown, although I'm very fond of Rhode Island reds also. They're very calm and still have outstanding production. Leghorns are my choice for high production white eggs, though I prefer the Lt brown, Red and Exchequer varieties over the White. They're a highstrung breed in general, but the whites seem to be the most so in my experience. I have Americauna's for green/blue eggs. I have Welsummers for the dark brown eggs. They're half the price of Maran's, and more readily available. I have numerous other breeds in white and brown layers that are just attractive birds, or are very calm birds but don't lay quite as prodigiously.

I do give them garden and table scraps, but still feed a full ration of commercial feed for max nutrition. I use a 24% game bird feed mixed with corn chop so that I still get a 16% feed. Oyster shell is available free choice. And I also feed alfalfa bales because I can't free range here due to predators.

3-5 birds, depending on breed and how many eggs you eat, would be plenty for you and your family. If you eat eggs everyday, bump that up a couple.

I second that you may want to get a couple of 6 month old pullets to get started. You'll have eggs right away (put a light on them this time of year). Chicks are really cute for about a week, but getting the eggs seems to hold a kids interest a lot longer. You can still get chicks in the spring when it brooding is easier. And then add them in with your other birds when they're old enough.

Your 10x10 pen is a big enough yard for 4-5 birds max. You may still want a small coop for nighttime and nest boxes.

slick4591":3rsgdl3t said:
In my layer pen I have chain link around the yard. For the ground protection I tilled around the fence and attached chicken wire to the chain link, then layed the wire down and away from the fence in the tilled area. That was much easier and faster than digging a deep trench. I covered the wire with dirt so digging predators dig into the wire and will give up. I've had mine for four years and nothing has made it to the inside so far.

I understand what you mean?

Fly-guy":3rsgdl3t said:
[
I would recommend buying several laying hens now for the eggs. By the time the chicks are mature enough to start laying, most people would have forgotten what they bought them for.

I plan on getting some adults maybe 2 and a few babies they are for the kids they seem to like them alot and I like eggs so I may have to expand the coop size :nod:

CottageFarm":3rsgdl3t said:
I know this is a little late but...

Mix all the breeds you want, I've never met a bigoted chicken :lol2:

I like the redstar/red sex link for high production brown, although I'm very fond of Rhode Island reds also. They're very calm and still have outstanding production. Leghorns are my choice for high production white eggs, though I prefer the Lt brown, Red and Exchequer varieties over the White. They're a highstrung breed in general, but the whites seem to be the most so in my experience. I have Americauna's for green/blue eggs. I have Welsummers for the dark brown eggs. They're half the price of Maran's, and more readily available. I have numerous other breeds in white and brown layers that are just attractive birds, or are very calm birds but don't lay quite as prodigiously.

I do give them garden and table scraps, but still feed a full ration of commercial feed for max nutrition. I use a 24% game bird feed mixed with corn chop so that I still get a 16% feed. Oyster shell is available free choice. And I also feed alfalfa bales because I can't free range here due to predators.

3-5 birds, depending on breed and how many eggs you eat, would be plenty for you and your family. If you eat eggs everyday, bump that up a couple.

I second that you may want to get a couple of 6 month old pullets to get started. You'll have eggs right away (put a light on them this time of year). Chicks are really cute for about a week, but getting the eggs seems to hold a kids interest a lot longer. You can still get chicks in the spring when it brooding is easier. And then add them in with your other birds when they're old enough.

Your 10x10 pen is a big enough yard for 4-5 birds max. You may still want a small coop for nighttime and nest boxes.

bigoted chickens :lol:
I had planned on building a box inside the 10x10x6 where they can walk up in and lay in a nexting box and if need be where I can close them in the mox and add a heat lamp.