CHICKEN AUCTION

Help Support CattleToday:

ELDONATOR

Reaction score
I'VE BEEN WONDERING ABOUT THIS. MAYBE SOME ONE KNOWS THE ANSWER. A FEW MONTHS AGO I HATCHED ABOUT A HUNDRED CHICKS. A FEW DAYS AGO I TOOK ABOUT 25 ROOSTERS AND 25 HENS TO THE SHEEP, HOG AND GOAT AUCTION NEARBY. THEY AUCTION OFF MANY THINGS THERE. I DIDN'T STICK AROUND BUT I GOT FOUR DOLLARS AND FIFTY CENTS FOR THE ROOSTERS AND FIVE DOLLARS FOR THE HENS. (EACH). I THINK SOME GUY COMES AROUND AND BUYS ALL THESE CHICKENS. WHAT IN THE WORLD DOES HE DO WITH THEM. ISN'T FOUR DOLLARS AND A HALF A LOT FOR A TOUGH LITTLE ROOSTER. I CAN SEE FIVE BUCKS FOR A PULLET THAT IS JUST STARTING TO LAY. ANY IDEAS?

Our local auction is frequented by Asians, who will often give that much and more for a rooster to put in the pot. They'd rather buy a live bird and butcher it themselves than buy from the grocery store. And the prices at the Asian markets are astronomical.

I make a good little bit selling poultry and duck eggs to the local Asians, one family even helps me butcher beef in return for the head, legs, tail, and certain internal organs.

Ann B

Maybe he is fighting them? They just busted a big operation out of Ft Worth, guys had over 1000 roosters! Could he use the chickens as bait, kinda like some of the dog fighters do with strays? Not condoning this, just realizing it does go on.

Before it burned down the local sale barn would sell al sorts of critters. Chickens would be penned/caged and sold by the cage, then came the pigs, then range maggots then goats. Took about an hour to hour and a half then the started the cattle.

dun

At the local auction (alas, suffered the same fate as Dun's this fall), the lunch break was used to sell hogs, sheep, goats (ewww - billies!), bunnies, chickens, ducks, orphaned calves, potatoes, and even potted perenials and hanging baskets of flowers in the summer. Was always good for a chuckle listening to the auctioneer sweet talking some old Hutterite farmer to buy a good "weaner".

Take care.

Got a chuckle out of some of the comments. Let me know if a range maggot is not a sheep. There is an auction nearby that basically is a sheep, goat and hog auction. Once each month. They also auction off the odd calf, donkey, llama and poultry of many different sort. I took a few turkey, geese and ducks once and they just walked them into the ring. It was cute. Chickens are usually in cages of some type. I have seen very large boar hogs sold for five dollars each! I asked someone about this and they said they would have a strong taste. Seems like cheap eating to me but whatever.

ELDONATOR":1v6tpm6v said:
Seems like cheap eating to me but whatever.

It's not the taste so much, it's getting past the smell of it cooking. And this from someone that kind of likes the smell of a skunk.

dun

cherokeeruby":15wz8q78 said:
Would love to find an auction where I could sell the excess birds, running out of our ears.

Once a month a little town just south of us has a fowl action. Everything from quail to pea fowl and everything in between

dun

Ruby --- winter's coming on, at least what little of it we have in Texas these days. Maybe you should have an old hen chicken killing party, fire up some big pots and make a bunch of REAL chicken noodle soup. Invite some of your CattleToday friends, including freeloaders like Arnold Ziffle. :lol:

Arnold Ziffle":37oxx5ou said:
Ruby --- winter's coming on, at least what little of it we have in Texas these days. Maybe you should have an old hen chicken killing party, fire up some big pots and make a bunch of REAL chicken noodle soup. Invite some of your CattleToday friends, including freeloaders like Arnold Ziffle. :lol:
That sounds like the best thing i heard all day ! :D

MPR they are just common chickens, kinda like Old English Game. Got them to eat bugs and grasshoppers, they do a great job of that.

Dun, I kind of like the smell of skunk too. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Well so does everybody else. Nevermind.

ELDONATOR":1mhtrxg7 said:
Dun, I kind of like the smell of skunk too. My wife thinks I'm crazy. Well so does everybody else. Nevermind.

From a distance it reminds me of the smell that the old vaccum cans of coffee smelled like when you first broke the vaccum. That would have benn oh 50-60 years ago.

dun

I went to a chicken auctoin once and had a good time. On saturday mornings I would often see alot of cars parked by this old building, so when I found out what was going on, I had to check this out.
It was in an old wood floored wharehouse. They had a few rows of seats that looked like they came from an old movie theator, the back of the room was standing room only, the chickens were all stacked up in cages on one side, there was a long table in the front where they would place a cage,and the auctioneer would stand beside it and sell the birds over the squeak of a large iron fan in the corner.
Now,unlike the sale-barn, the chickens were not the first to go. First, outside they would auction off almost everything you could think of, from old lawnmowers, used tools, to dish sets.
It was an interesting saturday morning.

Latest posts