Chianina

Help Support CattleToday:

Cbeck01

Reaction score
What's everyone's thoughts about breeding simmentals to chianina? I want to add a little more size to my Sims so I ordered some chianina semen, but there's not much info online about crossing Sims with chianina

Thanks

I like chi to an extent. I don't see it adding to a sim. Plus I wouldn't think your sim would need more size. Chi would be a terminal cross for me. Definitely not to keep heifers from.

My Sims are pretty good size, most are dream on genetics. I really just want to try something new and I stumbled across an article on chi cattle and they were HUGE! It really intrigued me and I read that they can get up to 3800 Pounds. I thought I would ai one of my lower end sims and see what happens? All else fails I could just butcher it next yr, should be 2 yrs worth of beef!

Most Simmental bulls I've seen recently are smaller-framed than most Angus bulls. I'm not saying that's a bad thing.

Wondering if you got a fullblood Chi... like the ones I had to deal with back in the 1980s.. incredibly tall, long-legged, fence-jumping things... cows with udders so small they didn't produce enough milk to raise a hamster... or today's 'Chi-influenced' stuff... crossed-up black 'clubby' things... and I don't think they have to be but about 3% Chianina to be registered with the breed association these days...

We have some friends that raise Chianina in Alabama. They also raise simi's and Angus I don't know if they cross Chi with simi but you could drop them an email. Here is a link to their website Chuck is as good a cattleman as you will find and a super nice guy.

http://ckcattle.com/

Gizmom

gizmom":2wfrkikn said:
We have some friends that raise Chianina in Alabama. They also raise simi's and Angus I don't know if they cross Chi with simi but you could drop them an email. Here is a link to their website Chuck is as good a cattleman as you will find and a super nice guy.

http://ckcattle.com/

Gizmom

Thanks alot! I'll send him an email

"The one I got is 100% chianina. It was born in 82 or 84."

Well, i can almost certainly assure you that its offspring will have significantly higher frame scores than their dams.

Lucky_P":3j2opp1x said:
"The one I got is 100% chianina. It was born in 82 or 84."

Well, i can almost certainly assure you that its offspring will have significantly higher frame scores than their dams.

His reg # 160117 if you don't mind looking him up let me know what you think.

I'm not real familiar with frame scores, does that mean just all around a bigger frame? Epd's are still hard for me to understand. I look at ce and bw, but the rest I'm not 100% sure about

Back in the 80's some of my cousins had some Chianina and Chi-cross cattle. When I first saw a group of young Chianina calves, they seemed to be as tall as the 400-500 lbs. Angus and Hereford feeder calves that my parents would buy.

That would be interesting, and I'd love to see the offspring. In regards to the comment above, the minimum percentage to show chi is 6.25% I don't really know what you'd get out of the cross though.

shortybreeder":ym0md4u6 said:
That would be interesting, and I'd love to see the offspring. In regards to the comment above, the minimum percentage to show chi is 6.25% I don't really know what you'd get out of the cross though.
Seen some registered "Chi" has only 1-2% Chi in the percentage.

Lucky_P":1boh5p8a said:
.... fullblood Chi... like the ones I had to deal with back in the 1980s.. incredibly tall, long-legged, fence-jumping things... cows with udders so small they didn't produce enough milk to raise a hamster...
Wild as all get out.
I remember when I first saw pictures and read about Chi back in the late '70s thinking they were something
Really Special. I was probably as excited about them as the op. Came to learn better and now wouldn't want to
have a chi on the place... hard on fences and all in all not much good for anything but the show ring. Just my :2cents:

I saw a bull that hanging weight was 2600 lbs. I did not kill him myself I was working in another part of the packing plant at the time. The man over the kill floor at that time said he was a Chianina . I know he was to big, that size of a bull is hard to work with and is a good way to get your workers hurt.

Son of Butch":3oldk4n5 said:
Lucky_P":3oldk4n5 said:
.... fullblood Chi... like the ones I had to deal with back in the 1980s.. incredibly tall, long-legged, fence-jumping things... cows with udders so small they didn't produce enough milk to raise a hamster...
Wild as all get out.
I remember when I first saw pictures and read about Chi back in the late '70s thinking they were something
Really Special. I was probably as excited about them as the op. Came to learn better and now wouldn't want to
have a chi on the place... hard on fences and all in all not much good for anything but the show ring. Just my :2cents:

I understand that full-blooded chi could be a pain, but do you guys think crossing them would also be a headache? I'm hoping the sim will give them a more docile temperament?

I'm just interested in trying something new I guess...

Trying Chianina isn't new. They have been around for 30 years or more. Results weren't good either especially the full bloods. If the show cattle industry didn't exist, they never would have gained a foothold. Too many problems with big birthweights, tall, slow growing, hard fleshing, poor fertility, poor mothers, and BAD dispositions. I remember a group of AI techs that came to our place after AI ing at a large Chi operation and they all agreed, the beef industry doesn't need those cattle. This was the mid 90's. Simply being different in the beef industry isn't necessarily a good thing, it usually leads to heavy discounts in the market place.

Muddy":1o8oa8hj said:
shortybreeder":1o8oa8hj said:
Seen some registered "Chi" has only 1-2% Chi in the percentage.
You can register whatever you want. But the National Shows say minimum 6.25% in order to show in the breed class.

Latest posts