Chianina Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

kraaz2525

Reaction score
I am looking to crossbreed some of my heifers and I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find the semen or if there is a ranch in the Pacific Northwest. Any info on the breed would be great!!!! I have found general info, but any info is welcome! Thank you!!!!
Sarah
:help:

sugar ray has a bit of it in him. good bull if your looking for clubbies, not so great ribeye and such though..
oh yeah, look out, anything chi may decide to kill you for no reason whatsoever...

just for my entertainment: what would be the reason for wanting Chianina?

Hmpf.
They don't make enough milk to raise a hamster.
Every one I ever worked on(back in their 'heyday', the 1980s) kicked or stomped the crap out of me.
I wouldn't go there, if I was you.

How have these cattle (chianina breed) been around so long if they are so bad? I think the breed is better than most precieve....I have seen a few but not enought in their home land to know if they are good or bad....

I sure believe that there is a place for them in a 3 way temerial cross system , say a 5/8 angus X 3/8 chi Bulls on say True f-1 hereford /bram cows, call them super baldies..

I think most breeds have a nich in the cattle world.....

I would wait till they are cows. Big ones if you want to use anything with much chi in em.

They are mean.

I like BMC SUGAR RAY 1CA, plus you can pick straws up cheap.

alftn":b8kn5a69 said:
How have these cattle (chianina breed) been around so long if they are so bad? I think the breed is better than most precieve....I have seen a few but not enought in their home land to know if they are good or bad....

I sure believe that there is a place for them in a 3 way temerial cross system , say a 5/8 angus X 3/8 chi Bulls on say True f-1 hereford /bram cows, call them super baldies..

by my count you listed a 4 way cross not a 3 way

To any chianina breeders,
I have a small herd of Fullblood Chianina cows and yes and no on the milk. As long as you creep feed the calves the cows will be OK. Some of the 1st Cianina were wild or hard to get along with. I think most of that goes back to the owners. The fullblood cows I have are very gentle.
If you want a percenatge chianina bull I would recommend the following bulls.
1. BC Polled Power Play
2. Sugar Ray
3. 18U
4. Polled Play
The fullblood bulls you would just need to check with the Chi Registry. I am using a Grimilde Bull which his average birth weight is about 70lbs.
Just be carefull witht he old percenatge bulls. Some of them will have heavy birth weight calves.
Chris Howard

Chris, how about the "total" lines? iv never seen any 18u's...got any pics at share at all?

fargus":81z7voqd said:
alftn":81z7voqd said:

How many Blonde D'Aquitaine cattle have you worked with?

I know 2 people who have used them and they both thought they were great cattle.

TO: Hart
I have not got any pictures of the 18u calves he was a bull that Black Champ Enterprises had back in the late 80's and early 90's. All of his calves were the same. Meaning the bulls looked great and the heifers as well. There are so many good bulls from back in the day when the Chiangus were just getting started.
If you are looking for Fullblood chi cows I saw on the ACA website someone in Washington state or in that area had 40 females forsale. There is a good size herd in Washington State they were on RFDTV not to long ago.
I will look through some of my old Chi magazine and post some of my favorite bulls from way back when.
My dad and I have a herd of 100 Chimaine, Chiangus cows, I started about 3 years ago with the Fullblood cattle. I have 2 bulls that are fullblood forsale at this time. I would say to take your time looking for Fullblood cattle they can be tricky to take care of at times.
What are some chianina bulls you folkd think are good bulls?
Thanks
Chris FFA Advisor

Chris, how big is your program (students, not cows) (I am an ag ed grad myself) Where do you order your seman from? I will likely not buy any (i found this site looking for hereford info for my grandfather...) but I would like ot know just the same.

I do not recall how much chi he had in him but, Playboy was a favorite of mine (likely due to the fact my first champ was a playboy). And you can guess by my first comment I like Sugar Ray as well. Although all but one of the sugars I was around seemed down right mean.

I have owened Chi cattle since the early '90s and have yet to have a "killer". Yes I will admit in the early on there were some cattle with less than desirible attitudes I belive that this was due to the fact of Chi bulls being used on every cow that could be found and most of these bad attituted cattle can be attributed to that. Just like anyother breed there are lines of cattle that are known to have a bit more zest for life if you will. Would I breed Sugar Ray or Nero to an EXT or Lucy's Boy angus cow and expect a puppy dog, NO. Chis have gotten a bad rap for way to long, our Chiangus cattle that we have retained ownship of have gone into branded "Angus" programs to be harvested and Creekstone Farms had a great working relationship with the Deiter program as a source of high quality cattle for their branded product.

choward2955jd":3v6uorry said:
I have a small herd of Fullblood Chianina cows and yes and no on the milk. As long as you creep feed the calves the cows will be OK. Some of the 1st Cianina were wild or hard to get along with. I think most of that goes back to the owners. The fullblood cows I have are very gentle.------
Just be carefull witht he old percenatge bulls. Some of them will have heavy birth weight calves.
Chris Howard
Not what I would call a good recommendation. If I had to creep feed my calves, I'd be out of business. Cows are on this farm to raise a calf - that's not my job.

To Hart:
I have been teaching 12 years. Our FFA Chapter has 120 paid FFA Members. As soon as I can I will look in my old magazines for the bulls I feel are the great ones of the breed. I do not A.I. my cows I buy all bulls in the Expo sale at Ohio and Kentucky. I just sold my very best bull i ever owned due to his health was getting poor. He was a son of Black Dice. He weighed 1975lbs and he been going down hill all summer. He was big body and thick.
As far as Simmie I creep feed my calves to lessen the stress on my cows. I usually creep feed my calves about 200-300lbs of feed a week. I just sold some calves that averaged 645lbs off the cows at the stockyards.
I will get back to later this week with my bulls.
The average life of my chi cows on the farm is about 15 years old

Latest posts