Chianina Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
I have looked all over the internet and have yet to find a U.S. that raises pureblood Chianina cattle. The white ones.... All I ever find are cross bred cattle chimaine, chiangus, etc.... any suggestions????

reason they crossed them was because they were so crazy they couldn't keep them around long enough to get them to reproduce... they'd have to shoot them for protection after they bred a few of their commercial cows....

not really, but that's my opinion of them. A cross would probably fit better into an operation than a regular chi anyways though. JMO

Ok..... well now I am the fool.... anyway... I am not interested in a purebred herd, but would be interested in a larger chi% than what most ranches offer.

well I'll just scare you away with the stories I've heard about them so I spose I'd better keep my mouth shut, you can pm me if you want to hear about them.

There's a fullblood Italian Chi breeder in Hico, Texas. If you're really serious, PM me and I'll look up his phone number and email for you.

KANSAS":2melcwdu said:
Texan... what are your thoughts on them?
My thoughts? Okay......the only thing crazier than Chi's are the people who raise them. Free country, though.

Welcome to the Boards, BTW!

ok fine... chianina's are out....

I want big huge cows.....

can you suggest a blend for me...

if your in NE Kansas, you don't want big huge cows. a 1400# cow is a god's plenty for that environment, our ranch is probably 50 miled west and we won't run an animal over #1250. big cows do no more than eat LOTS of feed. a good set of angus cows bred to gelbvieh or ::choke-gag:: limos would probably fit what your looking for...

Check out this web sites. If you are intrested in them, you should talk to some folks that are raising them. I've had some in the past (20 years ago). Had no problem with them. Great cattle. They do get big though.

http://www.chicattle.org

I thought Mize in Hico went out of business.. they were raising the Chi's and a cross for their own line of beef about 10 years ago.

I'll jump in here. Chi's were really hot back in the 70's. We had some crosses. Trust me, even 1/2 bloods are a handfull. No matter what field they were in, if you were feeding - that's where they were. And we didn't run 1 strand electric fence back then (in Kansas). We had woven wire & barb wire (terrible fence by the way!).
They started getting popular with the clubby market, because of the super long clean front end (and heigth back then). Still show up in the clubbies but usually only 1/8 to maybe 1/4 (or less).
Now, if you want big or moderate, you may try Simmental. They come in all colors & sizes to fit any environment.
Here in the East, we can run bigger cattle because we have SO much grass - grows all season. My cows probably average 1650# (although I have a couple in the 1900# range). Ours used to be REALLY tall cows, but we have moderated our heigth, most of them are 6 - 7 frame size. Through our breeding program we have been cutting off their legs (so to speak) and trying to keep the length & body size.
You can see a few on my web page.
http://www.SimmeValley.com

I have a neighbor to the east that is a vet and does embryo transfer in cattle. He has done transfers for well over 20 years. When I first became familiar with it about 98% of his work was dairy cattle but he did some beef also. The first time I saw a purebred Chi. I couldn't believe the size :shock: Phil kept the ''donors'' at his place, and said it cost more to feed one chi. than 2 of his herfords.The ones he kept had a good disposition but they may of been ''abnormal'' for the breed :lol: There origanol use was for draft animals so I wander where bad disposition came from in the genetics????
your friend
Mike

I have chianina full bloods my cows come in the barn every night and tie. They are very nice. There was a stain of chiaina running around back 10-15 years ago the was HOT!

Walter Mize has some great cattle. I would recommend talking with Charle he is the herdsmen at W G Mize ranch.

Don't give up on the full bloods at least check some out.

Walter Mize Hicco Tx.

pm me and I can give you a list of other breeder of full bloods

Latest posts