Chianina Cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

sca10010":3eciibka said:
I have chianina full bloods my cows come in the barn every night and tie. They are very nice. There was a stain of chiaina running around back 10-15 years ago the was HOT!

Walter Mize has some great cattle. I would recommend talking with Charle he is the herdsmen at W G Mize ranch.

Don't give up on the full bloods at least check some out.

Walter Mize Hicco Tx.

pm me and I can give you a list of other breeder of full bloods

I would like to see a picture of a Chi bull if you have one. I really like looking at the breed. I know an old farmer that bought some years ago from a farm in the Shenandoah Valley in Virginia, he said those things use to just walk over the fences. The Chiangus bulls are nice sized but I wonder if a F1 Chi/Angus bull would be about as big as a fullblood Chi.?

ChinaninaSteers.jpg
[/img]

Here is a picture of some Chinanina Steers (Oxen). If thses are steers I wonder how big the bulls are?

The bulls would be smaller Copeman.

Kansas, are you looking to make oxen, so you are looking for BIG cows? Or are you looking for some other purpose?

mtnman

Here is a picture of some Chinanina Steers (Oxen). If thses are steers I wonder how big the bulls are?

This picture is of Frank Scruton team they weighted 6400 pounds (team). I had a bull a couple of years ago that weighted 3700 pounds (on scales). I have heard of bulls weighting in excess of 4000 pound but have never seen one. Bulls tend to weight more then steers for the most part IMO. I've raised a lot of oxen in the last 40 years and a few bulls.

Right SCA, I was thinking bigger, as in taller. Certainly steers will mature taller than bulls. Bulls probably might mature heavier than steers, but I would think steers would end up older, so probably heavier, also, in most cases. I wonder how much heavier these steers got, or how much taller?

mtnman

I wonder how much heavier these steers got, or how much taller?

When this picture was taken these oxen were 13/14 yrs. old. this is getting old for cattle this size. By this time they had lost weight and may have been closer to 3000 pounds each. Oxen most often reach there peak in weight at 7-9 yrs old. And then slip a little. I compete in oxen/steer pulling events though out N. E. and saw this team weight week after week and got a good look at their rumps as we were going for ribbons. They were big! But not the biggest. Ted Lewis in Ct. had a team that weighted close to 3500 pounds.

I raise both oxen and breeding bulls from my cows and they both seem to grow in height about the same, bulls just seem to push down harder (maybe that big neck?).

Steve

My grandparents live in Hico, I actually used to work with Mike Mize (Walter's son) at a prevoius job I had. They are real nice people. They still have some cattle, although not as much as they used to have. They are huge cattle. If you are really interested I bet he would talk to you about the cattle, pros, cons, and everything else.

The Cattle Show on RFD TV had a show on chi's. It was at a breeders ranch somewhere in Texas.

Scotty

If you're looking for a large docile breed, you might consider the Ongole breed. Not sure if they're available in Kansas though.

Doc --- if he showed up in Kansas was Ongole I bet Jake would run him out of the state :lol: since Ongole is essentially a Brahman-type breed from India. I've never seen or heard of any here in the USA, but Nelore is the closest thing, and they are found in Texas (think of a grey to white Brahman with a big hump but with "little" ears).

Arnold Ziffle":3trkm17h said:
Doc --- if he showed up in Kansas was Ongole I bet Jake would run him out of the state :lol: since Ongole is essentially a Brahman-type breed from India. I've never seen or heard of any here in the USA, but Nelore is the closest thing, and they are found in Texas (think of a grey to white Brahman with a big hump but with "little" ears).

might just have too...

Arnold Ziffle":bol63g73 said:

I believe the Ongole and Nelore are the same breed.

Ongole:

ongole14.jpg

It is also called the Nellore breed for the reason that formerly Ongole Taluk, a division of a district, was included in the Nellore district, but now it is included in the Guntur district. The area is part of the Andhra Pradesh in India.

http://www.embryoplus.com/cattle_ongole.html

Nelore:

nelore1.jpg

There has never existed in India a breed called Nelore. This name corresponds to a district of the old Presidency of Madrás, now belonging to the new State of Andra, by the Bengal Sea. It was in Brazil that some authors started to use the name Nellore as a synonym to Ongole, the Indian breed that contributed most to the creation of the Nelore. The history of the Ongole dates back 2,000 years before Christian times. It was the Aryan people that brought the ancestors of the Nelore to India, where they were submitted to extreme weather conditions. The arid lands of Belushistan, the cold winters of Punjab, the alluvial lands of Ganges and the torrid lands by the Bengal sea provided the Ongole breed with the adaptation genes that are now favorably expressed in the modern Nelore.

http://www.embryoplus.com/cattle_nelore.html

[/img]