Chiangus

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I live in Middle Tennessee. Where can I find someone with this type of herd? This bred is new to me. I currently have Black Angus cattle. Is this a good bull to increase value of the calves? As everyone is, I want the best bang for the buck.

Thank you,

Gary

[email protected]

With the Chi influence you will lose much of the fleshing of your Angus. Perhaps a good thing in some herds but not all.

I would look at Angus bulls with more frame to get a better bang for your buck. You don't have to go crazy, but get past frame 5 and even pass the frame 6 if you have small framed cows.

Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus Farms Alberta Canada

[email protected]

Our use one of the more moderate continentals, Limousin, Simmenthal, Gelbvieh. You will get hybrid vigor in the calves and won't loose (hopefully) much in quality grade.

dun

> With the Chi influence you will
> lose much of the fleshing of your
> Angus. Perhaps a good thing in
> some herds but not all.

> I would look at Angus bulls with
> more frame to get a better bang
> for your buck. You don't have to
> go crazy, but get past frame 5 and
> even pass the frame 6 if you have
> small framed cows.

> Jason Trowbridge Southern Angus
> Farms Alberta Canada

First of all I agree with Jason that you could likely give up some fleshing ability if you go with Chiangus. Some friends of ours raise Limousins and Gelbviehs to sell as seedstock. Their daughter also has a handful of Chiangus. When you walk through their cows at the end of winter or when grass is hard to come by the Limmy's and Gelbviehs still look great, but the Chi cows are getting pretty skinny.

Second of all, I disagree with Jason regarding using an Angus bull on Angus cows if you are NOT producing breeding stock. The advantages of hybrid vigor are often the difference in beef production between making and losing money. Studies have proven that hybrid vigor will increase a cow's lifetime productivity by 25% (a good reason for keeping back your best halfblood heifers for replacement heifers), will increase calf weaning performance by 5% and calf yearling performance by an additional 4%. Research has shown that a good crossbreeding program will return well over $100/year over straight breeding. The Gelbvieh association has a nice brochure titled "Smartcross" that outlines good crossbreeding practices. Check it out on their website at <A HREF="http://www.Gelbvieh.org" TARGET="_blank">www.Gelbvieh.org</A>.

Another concern I have with Chiangus is that several of them have a reputation for being high headed and knotheads. If you do go with a Chiangus bull, spend some time in the pen with him to be sure he is gentle.

Actually Gary, your question is a bit open ended. If you are selling feeder calves I would encourage you to cross your Angus cows with a good Continental bull (i.e. Simmental, Gelbvieh, Limousin, Charlais). Angus/Continental feeders often bring a good premium. This same cross will do you well if you feed the calves out and sell as fats or for freezer beef.

A very competitive, but somewhat lucrative market is the club calf business. But, you need to know what you are doing and it may take years to build up a reputation to the point where people will be willing to pay you a good premium for your calves. If you do decide to go that route Chiangus, Maine Anjou, and roan Shorthorn bulls are probably your best bet to increase value. Once again, you really need to know what you are doing to be successful in this game.

Good luck!

regarding your question where to buy Chiangus, there is a farm in Rogersville, TN called Willow Oak Chiangus Ranch. I don't know much about this operation, but I do see their ads in various cattle publications.

There phone number is 423-272-0225. Their web site is <A HREF="http://www.willowoakranch.com" TARGET="_blank">www.willowoakranch.com</A>

If you want to cross breed use a good F1 angus/simmi or angus/gelbveigh bull. The heifers from this cross should make excellent cows. 25 percent continental makes an excellent feeder cattle. Chi's are the only breed I know that can kick woth both hind feet at once.

> I live in Middle Tennessee. Where
> can I find someone with this type
> of herd? This bred is new to me. I
> currently have Black Angus cattle.
> Is this a good bull to increase
> value of the calves? As everyone
> is, I want the best bang for the
> buck.

> Thank you,

> Gary

won't loose much in quality grade, I think he will increase yield grade if he uses Continentals, if he is keeping the heifers he should go with Simmental or Gelvieh but if he won't he should use Charolais or Limousin and I will go with Limos he won't have any calving problems

> Our use one of the more moderate
> continentals, Limousin,
> Simmenthal, Gelbvieh. You will get
> hybrid vigor in the calves and
> won't loose (hopefully) much in
> quality grade.

> dun

[email protected]

It seems like every time a Chi X comes thru the feeder calf sales they are hi strung. There are better breeds to use than chi.

pat

Back in the early 80's I AIed a lot of Ankina and we never had any problems with them, just bred them in a long alleyway. Run one in and breed it, run another in behind and breed it, etc. That's been my only exposure to Chianina other then talking to some ox drovers that have used them and claimed them to be very highstrung.

dun

> It seems like every time a Chi X
> comes thru the feeder calf sales
> they are hi strung. There are
> better breeds to use than chi.

> pat

Chi's are the only
> breed I know that can kick woth
> both hind feet at once.

My Chiangus bull once tried to kick me, and I was standing well to his left side and pretty far from the ass end, where I thought no bovine could kick ---his foot missed my sternum by about an inch. Chuck Norris or the late Bruce Lee would have been envious of that side kick!

seems that nobody likes the Chianina cross, but you can try a Romagnola bull if you sell by the pound you will be happy with the weights, or just use any of the continental breeds we have talk about in the other posts of your message

> I live in Middle Tennessee. Where
> can I find someone with this type
> of herd? This bred is new to me. I
> currently have Black Angus cattle.
> Is this a good bull to increase
> value of the calves? As everyone
> is, I want the best bang for the
> buck.

> Thank you,

> Gary

[email protected]

Latest posts