Cheyenne Bermuda

Help Support CattleToday:

jj216

Reaction score
Anyone tried this Cheyenne Bermuda seed.It claims to be as good as coastal and russell.I was curious if it was worth the money.I just cleared another 5 acres for more pasture and really cant afford to sprig it right now. Thanks

Yes I planted 17 A of Cheyenne two years ago. The first year I lost one half due to a terrible growth of Johnson grass (not from the seed, but dormant JG seed that was in the soil) that grew to be 6 ft. tall and shaded the bermuda seedlings. Too wet to get into field to keep the JG mowed. Pennington investigated and provided me with about 8 A of new seed for free which I planted this spring. By this year, the Johnson grass had settled down and we had good rain , good germination and good growth. Our second cutting , which was the last, due to too much rain and not being able to get into the field, had a yield of 7.4 round bales per A some of the best we have ever had.

I also noted this fall that after the Coastal and the Common had gone dormant the Cheyenne was still green and growing.

I am happy with it.

Based on my experience, if I were to do this again, I would probably take two years to spray herbicide on the area in order to be sure I had killed all the weeds before going in and planting anything. Use an annual cover crop to retain soil between years.

Billy

BTW, if I was only going to use it for pasture, possibly spray well year one, then plant in year one and then go back and control weeds as needed before you put in any clover. We are in mid-GA, so you would have to check with the Forage Team at UGA if it will do well in your area?

Billy

Thanks for the info Billy. Just yesterday I saw the Bermuda seed and scratched my head wondering about it. I hear Bahia seed will be higher than $150/50 pounds come spring so I may try some of this Bermuda seed down here.

Mr. Billy,

I have a "farmette" with several goats, so I need a forage crop, but, "highest yield" etc., is not all that important. I have read a bunch about Cheyenne, and it seems like the way for me to go in almost every respect. My pasture is larger than the goats need, so I'd like to maintain it more in the direction of a lawn grass for appearance sake. I have had little luck seeing decent photos (a few, but not lots) or live views of Cheyenne. How do you think that would look and work out?

Thanks,
Dob

HEy Dob,

I don't think I would go to the expense of Cheyenne for two reasons: 1) it is way too expensive and 2) it is a warm season grass so it will be brown all winter and not much of a forage then. Fescue would be better and will be green all year. I doubt goats are affected by the endophyte in fescue, but a county agent could find out for you. If they are, then Max Q fescue with the friendly endophyte would be my pic.

Billy

MrBilly":2qeexpk2 said:
The first year I lost one half due to a terrible growth of Johnson grass (not from the seed, but dormant JG seed that was in the soil) that grew to be 6 ft. tall and shaded the bermuda seedlings.
Billy

Any plans on how to get the Johnson grass under control Billy? I have the same problem in some newly sprigged bermuda.

Latest posts