Cheyenne bermuda grass in Georgia

Help Support CattleToday:

Kennedy Farms

Reaction score
Has anyone in south Georgia planted the Cheyenne bermuda grass seed? If so, how has it done in your area. We are getting some ground ready for this coming spring and really thinking of trying to Cheyenne seed.

BigBoy2,
I think I have found some seed, but they haven't confirmed yet. I know it is going to be hard to find this coming spring. I may have to get a mix with Cheyenne in it. Right now, I'm just trying to find someone who has planted/grown it in our general area.

I like the things I read about, but would really appreciate some first hand experience with it.

We planted Cheyenne in Middle-GA several years ago and it has done very well. We plan to plant another field next year. I don't think you should have a problem getting it. Call Pennington in Madison directly and talk with their rep. Order it now!

Billy

Angus/Brangus":1r7s7uyr said:
I tried it here in Texas. Very little of it came up.

A/B, It did real good for me on some land I cleared up here. My seed came from Turner Seed out of Breckenridge, TX. They mailed it.

/Quote
Just remember, that with coated seeds that the 40 lb bag is really about 20 lbs of seed. /UnQuote

I think that's a very good point and a good thing to remember. When you go to put it out, 10 lbs. per acre, would not be 10 lbs. of seed per acre. Thanks for the brain prod A/B..... :shock:

Turner seed sells "Pure Live Seed" (PLS) based on testing. Other places do too 50 lbs net might be 55 lbs of seed. Some places just sell seed per pound.

From what I have seen and done, all those seeded varieties of Bermuda is just a little different strain of the many Common Bermudas.

I wouldn't waste my time.

Been there done that.

MikeC":3jz1zvw5 said:
From what I have seen and done, all those seeded varieties of Bermuda is just a little different strain of the many Common Bermudas.

I wouldn't waste my time.

Been there done that.

That's been my experience with seeded bermuda as well. We get a lot better stand and production off of sprigs than any seeded fields. ;-) More bang for the buck.......no more labor than seed bed prep.......and al lot of production after the fact! :lol:

grannysoo,

Sprigging is the only way we have done pastures, but like everything else, there always seems to be a better way to due things. Thanks for the input.

We are actually thinking of sprigging one pasture and seeding another just to do a comparison. We are clearing two new areas that we need to develop this coming year.

I feel your pain.If I could irrigate it ,I'd sprig it hands down.But If I couldnt (which I cant)I would be worried the way the drought is going.I planted a new area this past spring in bahia and it came in about half of normal.If I had sprigged hybrid bermuda I would be out alot of chips.I have another area I'm clearing now so I will have the same delima this spring.I know alot of people hate it but for the money and risk factor I'm sticking with my "poor mans coastal".It will bounce back from drought,ph dont have to be perfect and seed is fairly inexpensive.Just my 2 cents ya'll go ahead and bash my bahia.

Cheyenne seed works. It works great. Why do you think everyone is sold out of seed?

If you don't have Cheyenne, sprig it.

up here in Virginia we don't have anyone with sprigging equipment.

Bermuda is fairly new to us so the folks that plant have used the seeded stuff.

We have several guys who are tickled to death with the Cheyene and or Wrangler.

Cheyene II should be out in 08. I plan to plant some if I can get some seed. I understand they are out now and had a bad seed year last year.

Latest posts