Chevy vs Ford in 3/4 ton

Help Support CattleToday:

shaz

Reaction score
Well, I chickened out of getting a 1/2 ton. Don't like the auto-stop start and the thought fish tailing pulling a load was a little scary.

So looking at 3/4 tons the Chevy/GMC has the 6.6 gas and Ford has the 6.2 & 7.3. I'm leaning towards the Ford with the 6.2 due to those being really reliable.
Going to buy new because I can't find anything low miles and priced decent. I get a supplier discount on Ford, GM and Nissan.

So, what do you guys think? Ford 6.2, Ford 7.3 (w/10 speed) or GM with the 6.6?

I love my f250 but it's a 5.4 gas. Did everything I have needed, so far, although I only have a small operation. Would like it to be a 4x4. The extra power would be nice with a 6.2 also. Haven't needed it, but just in case....

215,000 miles
Hauled about 10k lbs (tractor, trailer impliments)

Full pallet of 80lbs bags of cement in the bed. It was like 2k lbs

I think you will be happier with a 3/4 ton. We used 1/2 tons for years, but it does work them pretty hard. We now have a 2018 Chevrolet 2500,with a gasoline 6.0 engine. It handles a load much better, and much more comfortable in the process.

I think you will be happier with a 3/4 ton. We used 1/2 tons for years, but it does work them pretty hard. We now have a 2018 Chevrolet 2500,with a gasoline 6.0 engine. It handles a load much better, and much more comfortable in the process.
I wish they still made the 6.0. Wondering if the 6.6 will be as good?

The 6.6 should be a good engine and should outperform the 6.0 under a load. Better torque numbers. It's based of the LT engines and they've been fairly reliable.

The 6.2 will do everything that the 7.3 does, but the 7.3 will do it better. It's a true heavy duty engine. Good low end torque. A construction company I do some work for has a couple and they have been happy with performance and fuel economy as well. They probably pull 10k everywhere they go though.

If your main priority will be towing power, go with the 6.6 or the 7.3. If you could get by with a 1/2 ton, but want a 3/4 ton for extra trailering stability and reliability b/c you occasionally hook to a trailer, I'd say the 6.0 or 6.2 would be fine.

Last edited:
The 6.6 should be a good engine and should outperform the 6.0 under a load. Better torque numbers. It's based of the LT engines and they've been fairly reliable.

The 6.2 will do everything that the 7.3 does, but the 7.3 will do it better. It's a true heavy duty engine. Good low end torque. A construction company I do some work for has a couple and they have been happy with performance and fuel economy as well. They probably pull 10k everywhere they go though.

If your main priority will be towing power, go with the 6.6 or the 7.3. If you could get by with a 1/2 ton, but want a 3/4 ton for extra trailering stability and reliability b/c you occasionally hook to a trailer, I'd say the 6.0 or 6.2 would be fine.
With the 7.3 you get the 10 speed transmission which I haven't heard much about. Cost difference isn't that great.

With the 7.3 you get the 10 speed transmission which I haven't heard much about. Cost difference isn't that great.
I generally like more gears. Keeps engines in their torque range which produces better fuel economy. But like you, I haven't heard much on the trans either. It supposedly has a rating of 1400 lb/ft of torque. It's based off of the 10 speed in the F150's,but they've increased strength on the internals, so likely will be a good trans.

Reviews I've read on both make it a toss up to whichever one you like the looks of better IMO. Power, economy, and reliability are very similar. The Hemi 6.4 isn't a slouch either. Gas offerings from all are a very good value compared to diesel. I was a straight GM guy for most of my life and would still pick the Duramax / Allison combo if money wasn't an object. I bought my first Ford a couple of years ago - a 2013 F150 Lariat 5.0, and it's sold me on the blue oval. Best half ton I've ever owned.

F250 with the 7.3, 10 speed, and 4:30's would be on my personal very short list.

I used to be a pretty big Chevy advocate, but seeing some of the stuff they've designed in the past 10 years has soured me on them pretty good.

Ford really invested in their engine design, the 6.2 and 7.3 are very promising. I would prefer the 7.3 over the 6.2, the 6.2 has overhead cams and long timing chains. Manufacturers still haven't seemed to figure out how to make OHC timing chains last.

F250 with the 7.3, 10 speed, and 4:30's would be on my personal very short list.
Nailed it!

Had an 07 classic Duramax that I would still own if I had any brains whatsoever. Owned a 99 Vortec 7.4, 5 speed manual, 4 wheel drive with 4:56 gears probably the best truck I ever had. Again, I'd still own it if i had any brains.

Nailed it!

Had an 07 classic Duramax that I would still own if I had any brains whatsoever. Owned a 99 Vortec 7.4, 5 speed manual, 4 wheel drive with 4:56 gears probably the best truck I ever had. Again, I'd still own it if i had any brains.
If I had any brains I wouldn't need a truck to haul cows!

If I had any brains I wouldn't need a truck to haul cows!

Local sale barn charges $100 to come pick your load up for you. I could do that for twenty to twenty five years for the price of a new truck....

If I was farming or hauling anything I'd keep looking and buy a 1 ton w that big gas engine. Resale is way better. Build is better IMHO

Anybody not looking to purchase new like shaz, should check the government / surplus auctions. Some states have their own website, so check with your state. There are other sites like Public Surplus.

Latest posts