chevy pickups

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I am thinking very seriously of tradeing my old chev on a new one . How has t the new duramaxx been treating eveyone? Also how is the "allison" tranny I heard chevrolet still makes this but bought the right to use the allison name . Is that true?
 

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
866
Reaction score
0
Location
College Station, Texas
other than the fuel pumps and the extremely ugly new front end, i havent heard anything bad about them. im not really sure about the brand new ones, but i know in the past they have had lots of problems wiith fuel pumps. lasts between 70k and 120k miles. costs $800 for a new one too. instead of just the fuel pump, its everything all in one. the duramax from what ive seen is really good. a good quiet engine that gets great mileage.
 

Campground Cattle

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 24, 2004
Messages
2,533
Reaction score
0
Location
East Texas
Depends on what you are going to use it for, ride up and down the highway or work. Loggers in my area jumped on the new duramax when it came out because of the tranny for supply and fuel trucks. They are all going back to the cummins or international, the duramax is not holding up.
One told me he was on his third engine under 80,000 miles he was going back to cummins.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

It will be used 80% running down the road, I hopefully be buying a few yearlings again in the spring so it will see a trailer a little bit. I was embarassed this year when I loaded my rusted out ww 6x16 with 9 500 lb steers and my regular cab 1/2 ton gave a mighty squeal and bottomed out. Had to back them out and use the center gate...nothing like holding up 20 or 30 other " real" rigs while I was loading into my junk. Did it 3 more times that day. Next year I am going to pull the same junk but I plan on looking good...after I unhook anyway
 

certherfbeef

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 21, 2004
Messages
3,052
Reaction score
0
Location
OH
Just made a jont to WI to pick up a couple yearlings (800 miles+/-). Have to say my old reliable did a good job. Ford F350 dually 7.3, 5 speed pushing 300,000 on the original heart 8)
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Campground I almost forgot...I will gladly send you a gift cert. for a six-pack of your favorite beverage if you would look over my post on the feedyard board concerning marketing. La4 and dun the offer holds there too
 

heiferhoney

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I've had my Duramax for 4 years. Good mileage and great power. I have had a few minor problems....a switch on the transmission had to be replaced...the newer trucks have the new switch.

The transmission is Allison and Chevy won't touch it, you have to take it to Allison or Chevy swaps it out. Same with the engine. The fuel pump hasn't failed on mine but they recently extended my warantee on it. I haul on occasion cattle but I haul stone more often (2 miles of driveway that seems to be a bottomless pit) and the quarry is constantly overloading my dump trailer. But the truck has never hesitated and I have serious hills to deal with. Mostly 3 to 4 ton loads not counting the trailer.

Some people don't like the truck for just regular driving since the tranny learns how you drive....I like it when it downshifts for me on hills before I even touch the brakes but some don't like that. I like the quietness of the engine and like this truck so much that I haven't traded it in! It's turning radius is tighter then the Ford. And that counts for me because this truck also goes to the mall and parking is a breeze even wtih the extended cab and full size bed. I've put 8 big cows (avg. 1600lbs) in the trailer (aluminum) and have no problems. But all of these trips are short.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

I have a 01 with the 8.1 and allison transmission. After numerous problems large and small GM has GIVEN me a extended warranty on the drivetrain(on my 2nd transmission and uses more oil than gas but they say thats normal for this engine) and fuel system. I drive a F-350 on a daily basis pulling a 32' GN and would recommend that 10 to 1 over the chevy. The ford is more comfortable on long hauls as well. I would buy an older chevy before one of the new ones again.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Don't know nothing about the duramax.
However I traded a 2000 V-6 ford for a 2003 V-6 Chev and have been sick ever since.
Won't pull the hat off your head dosen't perform any where close to the Ford, and gets the same mileage.
Come on 36K so I can dump this thing
 

Michelle Pankonien

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 4, 2004
Messages
174
Reaction score
0
Location
College Station, TX
I love mine and hubby loves his too but is threatening to trade mine in for the 1 ton,

We both have the 3/4 ton, you have to get XM radio it is great, they tow wonderful and get great milage, I get 18 on the road and 12 fully loaded, over long hauls (ex 1600 mile trips)

They are firm in suspension, I have the 4 door, hubby the extended cab, his is like a sports car compared to mine, mine more like a caddy, both are 4-wheel drive

They did have a sensor recalled, and they had trouble with the injectors with the first couple years, but I think they got that all sorted out, just have 53000 on mine it will be 2 in October, and the initial troublew with injectors did not happen till they hit 110000, so if you trade in to take advantage of the tax stuff, then it is not a big issue, I am not sure I will have mine till it gets that old though, must highly reccomend the pop up bed hitch, great for being able to load the bed fully with out the hitch in the way, very easy to use, also sray in bed liner a must, just to protect your investment
 

heiferhoney

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
guest":2f8a6sam said:
I have a 01 with the 8.1 and allison transmission. After numerous problems large and small GM has GIVEN me a extended warranty on the drivetrain(on my 2nd transmission and uses more oil than gas but they say thats normal for this engine) and fuel system. I drive a F-350 on a daily basis pulling a 32' GN and would recommend that 10 to 1 over the chevy. The ford is more comfortable on long hauls as well. I would buy an older chevy before one of the new ones again.

That's amazing, I've never had to add oil even once but then again I change at 3000 miles.
 

heiferhoney

Well-known member
Joined
Jul 27, 2004
Messages
59
Reaction score
0
I drive in either mud or dust and all short trips. Oil is cheap in comparison to engine replacement. :)

For highway driving and only driving where you would take a car, 5000 miles would be fine.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

TxCoUnTrYbOy":2we3cmlq said:
other than the fuel pumps and the extremely ugly new front end, i havent heard anything bad about them. im not really sure about the brand new ones, but i know in the past they have had lots of problems wiith fuel pumps. lasts between 70k and 120k miles. costs $800 for a new one too. instead of just the fuel pump, its everything all in one. the duramax from what ive seen is really good. a good quiet engine that gets great mileage.

Are you referring to the 6.5L or to the Duramax's. Because the 6.5 have fuel pump problems. I have not heard about this being true fot the Duramax's as well.
 

TxCoUnTrYbOy

Well-known member
Joined
Apr 25, 2004
Messages
866
Reaction score
0
Location
College Station, Texas
not on the Duramax. my bro has a chevy 1500 that the fuel pump went out on, ended up in the shop all summer. its a long story, but had to call a wrecker, they didnt strap it down good, the truck fell and crunched the back fender. at the body shop it looked like they keyed the truck, slashed the tire, drug the tailgate on the ground, messed up the transmission, and burnt half a tank of gas. took it from there and went to another body shop for a while then to the transmission shop. after he got it back a week later he took it to Best Buy to get an alarm put in and when he got it back the fender in front of the rear tire was bent and the door was scratched. now its going back to the body shop again.

all because the fuel pump went out.
 

Brad B

Well-known member
Joined
Oct 10, 2004
Messages
134
Reaction score
0
Location
North AL
Anonymous":18xeyhjw said:
It will be used 80% running down the road, I hopefully be buying a few yearlings again in the spring so it will see a trailer a little bit. I was embarassed this year when I loaded my rusted out ww 6x16 with 9 500 lb steers and my regular cab 1/2 ton gave a mighty squeal and bottomed out. Had to back them out and use the center gate...nothing like holding up 20 or 30 other " real" rigs while I was loading into my junk. Did it 3 more times that day. Next year I am going to pull the same junk but I plan on looking good...after I unhook anyway

I sure don't like the bucket seats in the new Chevy's. I just got a new Chevy company truck and I don't like it. I grew up in a Chevy family, and have driven many of them. My last company truck was a Ford, and if the trucks stay as they are now, my next one will be a Ford. Drive, ride, and sit better. If you're gonna be riding much for an extended period, I'd sure try out a Ford.
 

RICHARD ADAMS

Member
Joined
Apr 5, 2004
Messages
11
Reaction score
0
Location
Vacaville,CA
Had an 03 Duramax/allison and it was the most problem filled vehicle I have ever owned. In the shop times in 12 months and the dealer could troubleshoot problems. Friend of mine had a 28 hour diagnosis bill on his. We both went Cummins with no problems. I'm in the parts business and have heard many ugly Duramax stories.
 
Top