Chevy 2500 HD gas?

Help Support CattleToday:

tom4018

Dumb Old Farmer
Reaction score
Any one got one of these with a gas engine? Curious as to what the gas mileage is and how it does towing. Considering one in a crew cab with the 6.0 engine. Don't feel we tow enough to justify the extra cost. Probably would not drive over 15,000 a year.

Anyone ever bought a vehicle off e-bay? Good or bad?

We just bought one this week. It tow's great & we are getting like 12 - 13 mpg.

We had an '03 crew cab with the 6.0. Kept it 6 months and traded it for a Dodge diesel. Best choice we ever made.

I have an 01 extended cab and I really like the truck. Pulls great. Granted the mileage isn't wonderful, averaged about 9.5 loaded on a trip to Georgia. But I figure I can buy alot of gas for the extra $5000 the diesel motor would have cost. Not to mention the price of diesel.

tom4018":184epntq said:
Any one got one of these with a gas engine? Curious as to what the gas mileage is and how it does towing. Considering one in a crew cab with the 6.0 engine. Don't feel we tow enough to justify the extra cost. Probably would not drive over 15,000 a year.

Wife's father has one with the 6.0. His gets around 15 mpg empty, don't know what it gets towing. It's not going to set the world on fire with a load of cattle behind it.

Bought 3 trucks off ebay. Two were much worse than the owners let onto and one was actually a nice truck. I'd be very cautious. Be sure and talk to the owner on the phone and if you get an odd feeling, walk away.

cfpinz

cfpinz":2zibrlbs said:
tom4018":2zibrlbs said:

Wife's father has one with the 6.0. His gets around 15 mpg empty, don't know what it gets towing. It's not going to set the world on fire with a load of cattle behind it.

Bought 3 trucks off ebay. Two were much worse than the owners let onto and one was actually a nice truck. I'd be very cautious. Be sure and talk to the owner on the phone and if you get an odd feeling, walk away.

cfpinz

Gotta agree with cfpinz on this one. I've never bought a vehicle off ebay, but I have bought a bunch of high end video equipment and you have to be VERY cautious. About 1/3 of the time things are not as they are advertised. Usually you can tell if you really talk to the sellers first. Those with something to hide seem to try to change the subject when you ask them a point blank question regarding wear, conditon, or warranty. Like cfpinz said, listen to your gut, if it feels funny to you run away from the deal.

Good luck, Corky

Very good truck/ motor in my opinion.

They have worked out a few of the little issues they had when it first came out and it has turned into a very solid motor that can produce alot of power.

I would love to get my hands on a used 4wd, maunal, w/ the 6.0L.

That is the motor that busted the bubble of Ford's V10 when it came out. :lol:

I have an 02 that I bought used. I have watched the gas mileage very closely this year, and I average 14 mpg loaded or unloaded. thats in town and hwy, w/and w/out a trailer. I wanted a diesel when I got this one. But I could not justify the cost.

we have a 06 crew deisel bought it used. we were up in the air about going gas or deisel, but kind of fell into this one. we really love it. average about 18.

daniel.carver":1txs2ypy said:
I have an 02 that I bought used. I have watched the gas mileage very closely this year, and I average 14 mpg loaded or unloaded. thats in town and hwy, w/and w/out a trailer. I wanted a diesel when I got this one. But I could not justify the cost.

Wow! That is great. Is it the big motor?? Any tweaking done to it?

Had one. Went to trade it in and got beans for it. They had several on the lot they couldn't sell already. HORRIBLE gas mileage towing. I bought the diesel and will never go back.

Cowboy 2.0":2enbrurp said:
We had an '03 crew cab with the 6.0. Kept it 6 months and traded it for a Dodge diesel. Best choice we ever made.

Those trucks make alot of power but it doesnt equal the cost of putting new lift pumps and injector pumps in them.

I have put on three injector pumps and lift pumps on dodge trucks in the last 60 days. Have not had any issues with the chevy gas or diesel or the ford.

I think it all depends on how much you pull and can afford.

Dodge trucks do make horepower I will give them that ( diesel)
JHH

I have a light duty 1 ton. 1997 3500, 350 engine, 410 rear end. It gets at best 14 mpg on the highway. Less if I go over 65mph. I average about 12mpg pulling a trailer or not. With the low gears I have to be pulling something really heavy to affect it.

I've got a 99HD ext cab 4x4, cant get 14mpg to save my life. It does pull like a bat outahe// though. Love the sound and response of the gas engine. It has been a great truck, 13mpg rain or shine is what i've come to accept.

Mine is an 05 2500HD, 6.0, Five Speed, Ext. cab 4x4.

I pull a 24 x 6 stock trailer with it and usually 11 - 13 round bales (depending on how I load the neck, tail, etc of trailer).

Truck pulls good where I live (low elevation). I only wish first gear was lower. There have been times I've had to grab 4 low to climb onto highway grades from pasture roads where the interesection was blind.

Does fine once on the road however. Chevy no longer offers a standard transmission on their HD trucks though.

Latest posts