Cherry tree leaves

Help Support CattleToday:

dryfork2

Reaction score
Know from experience that cherry leaves can kill cattle in august--september. any danger this time of year? Have one out in open area wanting to cut just starting to leaf out.

I think the reason you hear about August - September is that is typically the dryer part of the year and lacking good forage or better choices the cattle will then eat the leaves. My understanding is Cherry leaves are poisonous to cattle and there's really nothing special about August or September leaves. I lost five heifers to one tree a few years back in a lousy drought. Found a link from MU extension -

http://extension.missouri.edu/p/g4970#cherry

Lots of good info on that site. thanks. on afterthought hopefully cows will be moved off that pasture later in year try to cut it then. looks like still get a rented pastue thats for sale, at least til sold. thats been letting me put bred fall calvers on summer rented pasture.

Should have added Wild BLack CHerry. not sure about fruit type trees. wild cherries get about the size of a pea. Wilting leaves are the bigger concern.

Nesikep":1u6wgnsg said:
Are the leaves from other stonefruit toxic as well? peaches, apricots?

Try searching plants poisonous to cows and you should find a decent amount of info.

Also to let you know that oak leaves will kill them just like the acorns if they eat enough of them.

I just got a new lease on some pasture that has peach trees on it the owner planted. Would those cause any problems?

I have cattle in a pasture with a peach tree they or atleast I havent seen them eat the leaves but they try to eat the peaches if they fall to the ground I do know that. Growing up we use to cut down all the wild cherries out of the pastures as a kid and we had to rake every single leaf up and burn it in a pile.

The leaf and bark on cherry trees has cyanide in them. A leaf or two wont bother them but if they get to eating on them it can kill them.

I only worry about wild cherry leaves when I have cut down or a tree has blown down and the leaves are wilting. I've never worried about live leaves or leaves that have simply fallen off in the fall. I'll read the article though, thanks for the link.

I had a neighbor lose a yearling one time from a wild cherry tree that broke off before it had leafed out. The thing sprouted and then wilted. Evidently the buds have poison in them, too. Never heard of a problem with them unless they are wilted.

Latest posts