Cherry Tree Leaves

Help Support CattleToday:

Hutch

Reaction score
Can anyone give me any information about wilted cherry tree leaves being toxic or poisonous to cattle? If so how long of a period are they toxic?
I just had my woods logged and they cut down some cherry trees. I know they can kill a horse, but not sure about cattle. I have cows shut out of woods for now and would like to turn them back in soon.

The old fart down the road claims they are not poisionus. But he says what happens is that there is a coating of something on the leaves that will not allow them to slide down the esophogous. In turn suffocating the cow. Something to do with the fact that they eat things nearly whole and regurgatate later.

Horses can eat them just fine, they chew their food.

They are poisonous-until they are completely dried up to where they are dead and the cows don't want to eat them. Don't let your cows run in there with those trees down.

Choke cherry leaves, branches and fruit seeds contain amounts of cyanide. That is what kills the critters.

Cert, that old fart you mentioned sounds an awful lot like caustic. :eek:

I have always been told and have read somewhere... some time ago.... that wilted wild cherry leaves will kill until the moisture has dried in the leaves.

usually if there are just leaves on the ground that have fallen from the tree its no big deal but when you have a limb fall and they strip all the leaves, boom, dead cows. how many leaves is 2 lbs worth?

I know wild cherry is poisious to cows until completely dried out. Is the regular orchard cherry? We had a cow get to some wild cherry after a storm a few years ago. We filled her up on extra heavy mineral oil and cleaned her out, she was fine.

Hey, Thanks for the replies!
I will keep an eye on the leaves until they are dry!
Thanks again :D

Latest posts