"Cherry" ideas needed

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
It is cherry season in the Flathead Valley up here and there are cherries everywhere.
I bought some yesterday. I have been pitting and freezing them.
Now I need ideas on what to do with them. :help:

What kind of cherries ILH, bing ?

Make jam/jelly ,filling for pies, cobbler, can them for topping for ice cream or cheese cake. YUMM or just eat them.. :lol:

The last price I saw for bing cherries was $4.99 a pound, no thanks.

Almond Streusel-Cherry Cheesecake Bars
Cookie Base and Topping
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crocker® sugar cookie mix
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine
4 oz (half of 8-oz package) cream cheese
1/2 cup sliced almonds
Filling
2 1/2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese (20 oz), softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon almond extract
2 eggs
1 can (21 oz) cherry pie filling (substitue your cherries)

1. Heat oven to 350°F. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray. Place cookie mix in large bowl. Cut in butter and 4 oz cream cheese, using pastry blender or fork, until mixture is crumbly. Reserve 1 1/2 cups mixture for topping. Press remaining mixture in bottom of pan. Bake 12 minutes.
2. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat 20 oz cream cheese, the sugar, flour, almond extract and eggs with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
3. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over partially baked cookie base. Spoon pie filling evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle with reserved topping and almonds.
4. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 30 minutes. Refrigerate about 2 hours or until chilled. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator

Almond Crumble Cherry PieCrust
1 Pillsbury® refrigerated pie crust (from 15-oz box), softened as directed on box
Topping
4 oz marzipan (about 1/3 cup)
3 tablespoons butter or margarine, softened
1/2 cup old-fashioned oats
2 tablespoons Gold Medal® all-purpose flour
Filling
2 cans (21 oz each) cherry pie filling (use your cherries)
1/4 teaspoon almond extract

1. Heat oven to 375°F. Make 1 pie crust as directed on box for One-Crust Baked Shell using 9-inch glass pie plate. Bake 8 to 10 minutes or just until set but not brown.
2. Meanwhile, in small bowl, place marzipan and butter; with pastry blender or fork, mix until well blended. Stir in oats and flour until crumbly. In large bowl, mix filling ingredients.
3. Remove partially baked shell from oven. Spread filling in shell. Crumble topping over filling.
4. Bake 30 to 40 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown and filling is bubbly around edges. If necessary, after 15

Here's some more ideas I found for fresh cherries. They all sound great and very fattening.. :lol2:

fresh cherry recipes

Cherry Muffins
Fold 2 cups (500 mL) pitted, chopped cherries and grated peel from one orange into your favourite bran-muffin batter. Bake as usual, though they may need an extra 5 min.

Cherry-Cheese Skewers
Thread pitted cherries and cubes of fontina or havarti cheese onto toothpicks, alternating between the two.

Black Forest Parfaits
Soak pitted cherries in kirsch or brandy for at least an hour. Then layer chocolate ice cream, cherries with marinade, and vanilla ice cream or whipped cream in tall glasses.

Dessert Pizza

Brush a store-bought thin pizza crust with oil. Bake until golden. Spread with cream cheese and top with pitted cherries and sliced peaches. Sprinkle with brown sugar.

Cherry Syrup
Fill a small measuring cup with pitted cherries. Cover with maple syrup. Microwave on medium until cherries and syrup are warm, stirring after 2 min. Pour over pancakes.

Fruit Crostini
Spread baguette slices with garlic butter. Lightly toast in the oven. Spread with chèvre or creamy blue cheese. Top with pitted cherry halves and shredded basil or mint leaves.

Upside-down Cupcakes
Brush bottoms of 24 muffin cups with melted butter. Fill each with a layer of pitted cherries. Sprinkle each with 1 tsp (5 mL) sugar. Spoon cake-mix batter overtop. Bake as per package instructions. Cool 5 min before turning out of pan.

Cherry Purses

Brush 4 phyllo sheets with melted butter. Stack and cut into 5-in. (12.5-cm) squares. Top with squares of brie and pitted cherries. Sprinkle with sugar. Bring corners of each square together and pinch closed. Bake at 350F (180C) until golden.

Summer S'mores
Stir pitted cherries and mini marshmallows into chocolate ice cream. Sandwich between graham crackers. Serve on dessert plates and drizzle with chocolate sauce.

They are like Bing cherries HD. I got 20 pounds for $25.00. The ones in the store were going for $3.59 a pound.
Those recipes sound great will have to give them a try. Now I can hardly wait to try them all. Thanks HD. :D :D

Ha ha, the ad link at the bottom of the page was how to get a flat stomach and lose 3 inches in just weeks.. :lol2:

You gotta love the google bot. It is not even subtle is it.. :p

Wish I was closer ILH, I would help you sample all of those. :nod:

I didn't catch that ad, but there is one now with 2 ads for cherries. :lol2: :lol2:
I'm going to try the upside down cupcakes. Those sound wonderful. Now to decide if to use chocolate cake or yellow cake for this one. I might try both over the next couple of days and see which the family likes the most. :D I'll let you know. :D :D

German Chocolate cake mix and a dollop of whipped cream on top. Boy is that gooood stuff. :D :D

now where is that ad to lose 3" off the waist. :D :lol2: ;-)

hillsdown":3vq4yzmr said:
Wish I was closer ILH, I would help you sample all of those. :nod:

Me too! I love bing cherries. I was in Montana/Idaho several years ago and I bought a big flat of them for what I thought was a bargain. Went to the hotel room and ate them till my stomache ached. Cherries here are expensive.

The "Witches of Eastwick" movie ruined fresh bing cherries for me. :(

If you dried any of those cherries, I have a recipe for a fruitcake that has dried cherries, a pound of pecans and a pint of bourbon in it.

MO_cows":xd93gfi2 said:

If you dried any of those cherries, I have a recipe for a fruitcake that has dried cherries, a pound of pecans and a pint of bourbon in it.

SOLD, post it please... :lol2:

Would you believe our local grocery store here in remote outback Queensland has been selling huge cherries imported from the USA for US$5 a pound!!!! Well that's what I work it out to be roughly from $13AUS for a kilogram (2.2lbs). Fresh and tasy too. Very big and dark claret red - would they be "bing" cherries?

The biggest strawberries I've seen in my life too were in California, north of San Fransisco somewhere. They were so big you could see them in the patch as you drove along the road. Must say though they seem to have gotten bigger over here lately too - once upon a time you only ever got the odd big strawberry - now they're all big. Our family used to grow them commercially. I think the little ones must go for jam.

MO_cows":2y0tgdyv said:

Is that the one where you throw away the cake and drink the Bourbon.

BTW you can pour all the Bourbon you want on Fruitcake. Just don't post any recipes where you waste good Canadian Whiskey on stuff like that.

If I saw a recipe that called for pouring Gibsons on anything other than an ice cube I would have to cry.

3waycross":1ojotrow said:
MO_cows":1ojotrow said:

Is that the one where you throw away the cake and drink the Bourbon.

BTW you can pour all the Bourbon you want on Fruitcake. Just don't post any recipes where you waste good Canadian Whiskey on stuff like that.

If I saw a recipe that called for pouring Gibsons on anything other than an ice cube I would have to cry.

Too funny 3way ,that is all Mr. HD drinks, Gibsons. He like the silver better than the gold and either one better than crown royal or Canadian Club. Our vet and good friend got him hooked on 60 year old CC but at $120.00 a bottle I soon put the end to that. :shock:

I have a friendship cake recipe that calls for canadian whisky ,I think that is a case that you sample the whiskey while making the cake. :lol2:

HD, you can tell MR HD that I think he is a man of impecable taste. Not just in women but even more so in his choice of libation.

He is absolutely correct the Sterling Silver is the best by far. I have also had another one from them called Gibson's Rare. It's supposed to be the best but at the end of the day I always go back to the Silver.

I am convinced that one of the great international tragdies is the fact that our neighbors from the north do not see fit to ship the precious Gibson's south of the border.

We do get Wisers but only the cheap stuff not the Green label Very Old

I have a friendship cake recipe that calls for canadian whisky ,I think that is a case that you sample the whiskey while making the cake.

NO..the best way is to go ahead and give them the cake....they can give it to the dogs...then you and your friend sit down and enjoy the whiskey. That is real friendship. ;-)