Cherokee rose not multi floral

Help Support CattleToday:

denoginnizer

Reaction score
Anybody have experience killing these things. Most all the pastures in my area are infested with them. The cattle farmers have sprayed them with grazon, surmount, crossbow, forefront and everything else . It just kills the top and not the roots. Gov folks recommend spraying for three years in a row but that isnt working either.

May help to spray in the fall. It will take the poison down to the roots. Do not shred.
Maybe when in full bloom like blackberry?
Maybe herbicide is to strong, not allowing it to get to the roots.

I have Macartney roses, a close relative of Cherokee. I spray in the fall starting about mid September. I use a 1% solution of Grazon P&D. I repeat the application every year as necessary. The rose needs to have all it's folage for the herbicide to work. If it has been shred or mowed it will not work. Remedy may work on the cut stump?

denoginnizer":vkd1uv6n said:
Jogeephus":vkd1uv6n said:
Is the problem isolated or is it widely spread all over your pastures.
Wide spread.

Widespread poses a problem as you know. If it was localized in groups or clumps I was going to suggest Arsenal (16oz) mixed with 2 quarts of Garlon sprayed in September. This will provide a two pronged attack on the roots and the tops. But it will also kill your grass. But if you have clumps throughout the pastures this might still be a viable option via hand sprayer. As previously stated, don't mow or disturb it prior to treatment. Good luck. Sounds like you got a problem.

1.5% Roundup at bloom will kill multiflora rose dead. Spray to mist the leaves, not to the point of runoff. I imagine any other rose would be similar, but can't speak specifically to your "Cherokee" rose.

Fred":2xekx8yr said:
I thought Cherokee rose was the same as multiflora rose.
Cherokee Rose - Rosa laevigata Introduced from China I think this one is a climber
Multiflora Rose - Rosa multiflora Introduced from Japan I think this one is a bush

dun":3q5mu56x said:
Fred":3q5mu56x said:
I thought Cherokee rose was the same as multiflora rose.
Cherokee Rose - Rosa laevigata Introduced from China I think this one is a climber
Multiflora Rose - Rosa multiflora Introduced from Japan I think this one is a bush

Dun, I think the multiflora is a walking species. It'll walk ten feet to reach out and grab your ear, arm, :) etc.