Chernobyl Anniversary

Help Support CattleToday:

MikeJoel

Reaction score
Yep today (or actually last night at midnight) was the 20th anniversary. 1986 (I was 11 but for some reason dont remember a thing about it except I seem to remember a news report about radiation detection in european countries).

The Chernobyl powerplant in Ukraine had a meltdown at about 1:25am in the morning while undergoing "tests". It was the worse nuclear disaster ever. There was more radiation released than the two atomic bombs dropped in Japan. There were fewer deaths then from the bombs but current estimates say that about 300,000 people have (or will) die from sicknesses related to Chernobyl. The area still has enough radiation to kill an unprotected person who would dare approach it. In fact the woods around the plant are called the "magic forest" because if you walk in you can walk out glowing.

The UN has now released a report stating that the areas should be repopulated even though there is about 50-100% more radiation in these areas than in most of europe.

Well just thought it would be interesting to point it out.
Mike

Mike not sure if you walk out glowing, there are many reports on our NEWS, at the moment about the disaster as it has affected parts of Wales, sheep still have to be tested before they can be sold for market and consumption.

People have been going back to the area to see what it is like now and noone has been in protective clothing, so it does not seem that bad, and a few people have gone back to live in their old homes, one lady is 82 years old and has no side effects, so I don't know what you have been told, but it would seem to be a few porkies.

I was refering to the area directly around the plant. Where the rating is about 500-3000 microroentgen (about 50 to 300 times the normal).

Yep people have been going back. The government has made it illegal for young people to return with their families. Only older people are allowed in some areas.

The UN though is trying to make it appear that all is ok. One reason is the government in the ukraine is paying victims and doesnt want to anymore.

Groups try to take children from the area for a month to england and such to give them a chance to get out of a radioactive area.

There are some pretty good sites if you google it.

Sorry Id rather see oil burning away than nuclear plants. People claim how clean they are, until of course you have to do something with the waste.

Especially when storing the waste is so political. Suggest people look into the new nevada (Yucca mountains).

Mike

Latest posts