Cheers!

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
To Those of You Born 1930 - 1979

TO ALL THE KIDS WHO SURVIVED THE 1930's, 40's, 50's, 60's and 70's!!

First, we survived being born to mothers who smoked and/or drank while they were pregnant.

They took aspirin, ate blue cheese dressing, tuna from a can and didn't get tested for diabetes.

Then after that trauma, we were put to sleep on our tummies in baby cribs covered with bright colored lead-base paints.

We had no childproof lids on medicine bottles, locks on doors or cabinets and when we rode our bikes, we had baseball caps not helmets on our heads.

As infants & children, we would ride in cars with no car seats, no booster seats, no seat belts, no air bags, bald tire s and sometimes no brakes.

Riding in the back of a pick- up truck on a warm day was always a special treat.

We drank water from the garden hose and not from a bottle.

We shared one soft drink with four friends, from one bottle and no one actually died from this.

We ate cupcakes, white bread, real butter and bacon. We drank Kool-Aid made with real white sugar. And, we weren't overweight.

WHY?

Because we were always outside playing...that's why!

We would leave home in the morning and play all day, as long as we were back when the streetlights came on.

No one was able to reach us all day. And, we were O.K.

We would spend hours building our go-carts out of scraps and then ride them down the hill, only to find out we forgot the brakes. After running into the bushes a few times, we learned to solve the problem.

We did not have Play stations, Nintendo's and X-boxes. There were no video games, no 150 channels on cable, no video movies or DVD's, no surround-sound or CD's, no cell phones, no personal computers, no Internet and no chat rooms.
WE HAD FRIENDS and we went outside and found them!

We fell out of trees, got cut, broke bones and teeth and there were no lawsuits from these accidents.

We ate worms and mud pies made from dirt, and the worms did not live in us forever.

We were given BB guns for our 10th birthdays, made up games with sticks and tennis balls and, although we were told it would happen, we did not put out very many eyes.

We rode bikes or walked to a friend's house and knocked on the door or rang the bell, or just walked in and talked to them.

Little League had tryouts and not everyone made the team. Those who didn't had to learn to deal with disappointment.

Imagine that!!

The idea of a parent bailing us out if we broke the law was unheard of. They actually sided with the law!

These generations have produced some of the best risk-takers, problem solvers and inventors ever.

The past 50 years have been an explosion of innovation and new ideas.

We had freedom, failure, success and responsibility, and we learned how to deal with it all.

If YOU are one of them?

CONGRATULATIONS!

Amen to all that.We seem to have made it alright in spite of all those so called bad things.
We also told it like it was and the He!! with PC.

Cal

my baby sister had a appetite for bayer aspirin when we were kids.... us kids would all gather at the end of the drive too see how fast maw and paw could make it too the crossing in the his gto that thing could lay rubber for a hundred yards on the way too get her stomach pumped :p

I was born in 1977 and barely grew up before electronics swarmed the younger kids and made them non creative fatbags.

jedstivers":1zusvy7e said:
these were some of the things I tried to explain to my wife when our boys were born. I really wounder about some of the kids born in the last 20 years.
:frowns: I was born in the last 20 years.

FarmGirl10":3kqdzv4v said:
jedstivers":3kqdzv4v said:
these were some of the things I tried to explain to my wife when our boys were born. I really wounder about some of the kids born in the last 20 years.
:frowns: I was born in the last 20 years.
That's the reason I said some. There is always an exception, I just fear that you are in the minority. I know that their are some top notch kids and young adults but are the few of y'all enough?

I was born in 73. Got lucky enough to see alot of the older things before they faded out. Here's just a few:

a combine without a cab, just an umbrella.

back and white tv's, without remotes.

when an entertainment center was a five foot long piece of furniture with a radio, record player, and tv housed in it. With a big lid on top.

no vcrs, you actually had to go to the movies.

regular home butchers on weekends.

Alot has changed in a short amount of time, my kids don't have a clue about what I just listed and neither do some of my 25 year old co-workers who were only born ten years later than me.

well here it goes...............
Born in 63 and I can remember when us kids could cut out 45's (records) off the back of cereal boxes.
That's when the jackson 5 band was way cool, ABC and all. Or maybe not........... :shock:

I remember our first vcr it had a remote but it was hardwired in it.Went to friends house and he had a Atari really he did and it was way cool.Also we was fancy we had channels 3 4 8 and dad came home one day with a new antena that picked up channel 23 first show we watched was Wonder Woman and i'm still in love :heart: :heart:

My grandpa was in his late 90s when he died.Loved to hear him talk about all he had seen in his life.First auto, plane and stuff that I just took for granted.Sure do miss that old fart would cuss me like a dog but anyone else say anything negative about me he'd light it them like you wouldn't believe.

Talk about old timers,I can remember my Dad talking about leaving home at the age of 16 and traveling through the west breaking horses to ride. But if he was still alive he would be 112 yrs old.

Cal

Calman":1f4ebt9d said:
Talk about old timers,I can remember my Dad talking about leaving home at the age of 16 and traveling through the west breaking horses to ride. But if he was still alive he would be 112 yrs old.

Cal
Mine went to sea at the age of 16. He had salt water in his veins.
He measured 5'5" in height by physical measurement. In spirit he was 10' or more.
If he was ever afraid of anything, I never knew it. If he ever doubted himself, I never knew it.

When I was a kid I didn't see how I could ever measure up. He has been gone better than 38 years and I am older now than he was when he died. I am still in awe.
He was a part of that last great generation.

Ryder":31vw2ue6 said:
Calman":31vw2ue6 said:

Cal
Mine went to sea at the age of 16. He had salt water in his veins.
He measured 5'5" in height by physical measurement. In spirit he was 10' or more.
If he was ever afraid of anything, I never knew it. If he ever doubted himself, I never knew it.

When I was a kid I didn't see how I could ever measure up. He has been gone better than 38 years and I am older now than he was when he died. I am still in awe.
He was a part of that last great generation.
Yeah, that greatest generation really had the big brass ones hanging. Everything I do I'm just trying to measure to their standards and don't even come close.

Latest posts