checklist for newborns

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I was out looking around this morning, and happened to notice that one of my first calf cows has an extra nipple. That wouldn't be such a shock, if it had been at the back of the bag, but this one is at the FRONT! right in the middle. If I hadn't have been sitting down when she happened by, I don't know when I would have noticed it. I actually have two questions: 1). She is two years+ and will be bred back this next month.... is it too late to get rid of that nipple? 2) What sort of things do you look for when you first see the calf? When do you take time to really look these things over?

[email protected]

If it hasn't bothered anything up to this point, why do anything about it. Our check list for newborns is simple, balls yes/no, is it up and nursing, sometimes we dip navels, sometimes we don't get the chance. When they get to be weanlings we usually notice the extra equipment. I have yet to see a calf that gets all that confused by the peripherals, if they don;t get milk from it they start ignoring it in short order. We have one heifer that when she calved we realized she has 7 teats, 4 normal, 2 small on the rear and one siamesed off of one of the normal ones. Her calf "Butt Head" doesn't seem to be the least bit concerned so neither are we.

dunmovin farms

> I was out looking around this
> morning, and happened to notice
> that one of my first calf cows has
> an extra nipple. That wouldn't be
> such a shock, if it had been at
> the back of the bag, but this one
> is at the FRONT! right in the
> middle. If I hadn't have been
> sitting down when she happened by,
> I don't know when I would have
> noticed it. I actually have two
> questions: 1). She is two years+
> and will be bred back this next
> month.... is it too late to get
> rid of that nipple? 2) What sort
> of things do you look for when you
> first see the calf? When do you
> take time to really look these
> things over?

Looks like my checklist... lol ... if this nipple were only half an inch in length, like I have noticed on the others (that I noticed) then I would take a nonchalant attitude, but this nipple is almost two inches long and looked like it had been sucked on... hence, my questions. Thank you for your quick response.

[email protected]