Checking transmission oil in a IH 966

Help Support CattleToday:

jka300

Reaction score
I went to move my uncles IH966 yesterday but ran into abit of a puzzling problem. I can't find the dipstick for checking transmission oil. I would just drive it without checking but it leaks hydraulic oil and has been sitting for 2 months. So possibility of it being low or out is very high. I would ask my uncle by he passed away 2 months ago. I went and seen my local case dealer this morning and the guy I talked to had more experience playing video games then what a tractor is. The very sad part of it is the manager was no better. :( The tractor its self has a factory cab on it and I don't have the manual. Any help would be much appreciated.

Possibly, this tractor has a plug in the transmission for checking oil levels. Pull the plug, add oil until it runs out the hole and replace the plug. That's how a lot of older tractors did it--not sure about the IH 966.

If I remember correctly, there's a dipstick located in the floor of the cab just below the parking lock lever. It should have a flat steel top with a fold down wire bail to pull on. Just pull it our and read it.

Texas PaPaw":2zxna7b8 said:
If I remember correctly, there's a dipstick located in the floor of the cab just below the parking lock lever. It should have a flat steel top with a fold down wire bail to pull on. Just pull it our and read it.
I'll take a look tomorrow. I dont remember seeing one but the carpet might be hiding it.

Texas PawPa is on the money. In the floorboard, below the parking lever, to the left of the brake pedals.

John

Yeah the fill hole is under the carpet on the floor board, fill it to the top until it comes out. The reason they put the carpet in there is so when you know it's full it runs out and you don't get your sandalls dirty with oil.

Latest posts