Checking the Heifers (pictures)

Help Support CattleToday:

randiliana

Reaction score
Here is the pen where we have our heifers for calving this year. We don't normally pen them, but it is sooooo icy, that we decided that it would be easier and safer for us, and especially them if they were at the barn, rather than out in the paddock if we had to bring them in. Temps today were around -10C with a pretty strong wind, so it turned out to be really nice to have the 3 that calved up at the barn rather than down in the paddock.

Checking to make sure nobody is doing anything, if they were they would be put inside for the night. We have room for one more...
tn_DSC07091.jpg

As you can see, I have assistance with my night checks. That is Blackie, our house cat that the heifer is checking out. I'm sure he's going to learn a thing or two about new mama's before the spring is through.
tn_DSC07092.jpg

These ones have other things on their minds than calving, at least right now....
tn_DSC07093.jpg

Ol #78 who I am expecting to have twins again this year. The signs are pointing to it....
tn_DSC07090.jpg

The 3 new babies
#154 (first calf)
tn_DSC07066.jpg

#153 (second calf) the one I had to help with a leg back
tn_DSC07082.jpg

#153 (third calf)
tn_DSC07089.jpg

Thanks for the comments BB and Jogeephus. We are indeed going to be busy calving. About the time we wind up with the heifers we should be getting into the cows. They are due Mar 5. It IS cold here, at least today. Last night when I checked at 10:30 it was just below freezing and snowing, no wind at all. It was gorgeous for this time of the year. By 3 am when DH checked it was not nearly so nice, and -12C here this morning with a real cold wind.

Blackie?1? Yeah right. I'd know Moe anywhere. That is my cat! So may I ask, what is Moe - my cat - is doing up there checking the cows for you? He don't do nothing but lay around here. Its no wonder he is always so tired and sleepy. ;-) :lol2:

Jogeephus":29h1gv6b said:
Blackie?1? Yeah right. I'd know Moe anywhere. That is my cat! So may I ask, what is Moe - my cat - is doing up there checking the cows for you? He don't do nothing but lay around here. Its no wonder he is always so tired and sleepy. ;-) :lol2:

:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

you know it is hard work, and a lot of travel for him ;-) I always wondered where he went on some of those cold nights when he doesn't come inside :lol: :lol:

Jogeephus":shc00o3l said:
Excuse me but that is my cat Shiloh thank you very much. :D
PC020184.jpg

spoon":70fl80dw said:
Jogeephus":70fl80dw said:
Excuse me but that is my cat Shiloh thank you very much. :D
PC020184.jpg

I knew there was some sort of conspiracy going on. He is sneaky. I think he wants to rule the world. Here is Moe aka Blackie aka Shiloh :lol:

IMG_2248.jpg

Latest posts