Checking in from the Southern US.

Help Support CattleToday:

Welcome to the Forum! I'm just like a few here. Retired and moved to the country near Ft Worth and wanted a few cattle to occupy my time. My grandfather and great-grandfather were ranchers first near Ft Worth and then they moved to the Texas panhandle around the turn of the last century because Ft Worth was getting too crowded. I have distant cousins that have several ranches here in Texas. I have learned a lot from the kind members here in the forum. Lots of different areas of interest here and lots of your questions will have already been answered. You can just use the search function to find them using key words. If that doesn't work or if you want something more current, everyone is willing to chime in and help. There are a few curmudgeons here but don't take anything they say too hard. There is usually something to learn from even those who are more blunt than others.

Welcome!! I am one of the "old folks" on here. Been raising Simmental for 50 years. Live in Upstate NY but was born and raised in Rhode Island, a city girl. Left when I was 19, went to Kansas for 12 years. First raised horses, then got into cattle. "Large herd" for here in NY. Run around 50 breeding stock. Raise purebred, sell show heifers, replacement breeding stock, some bulls. Sponsor juniors - have a family with 3 kids been sponsoring - this is their 5th year with us. Lost my beloved husband, Ken. My nephew Phil moved in with me for "60 days of calving" 9 years ago. Working out great for the two of us. He also was born & raised in R.I.
Agriculture is New Yorks #1 industry. Bet you didn't know that!!! LOL We wish NYC was a different state.

Welcome!! I am one of the "old folks" on here. Been raising Simmental for 50 years. Live in Upstate NY but was born and raised in Rhode Island, a city girl. Left when I was 19, went to Kansas for 12 years. First raised horses, then got into cattle. "Large herd" for here in NY. Run around 50 breeding stock. Raise purebred, sell show heifers, replacement breeding stock, some bulls. Sponsor juniors - have a family with 3 kids been sponsoring - this is their 5th year with us. Lost my beloved husband, Ken. My nephew Phil moved in with me for "60 days of calving" 9 years ago. Working out great for the two of us. He also was born & raised in R.I.
Agriculture is New Yorks #1 industry. Bet you didn't know that!!! LOL We wish NYC was a different state.
I knew AG was big big business, but I did not know it was #1. I've been considering importing some alfalfa hay, for a kind of an experiment, and have seen several listings in NY. My wife, on the other hand, had no idea AG was a thing in NY. She knows now, but like many other people when she thinks of NY, NYC is the first thing that comes to mind.

Actually, Upstate NY is beautiful!!. Lots of glazier lakes, hills and valleys, rivers/creeks. LOTS of water!! And, we get a lot of water from the sky! You don't want to HAVE to put up dry hay. We are lucky to get 3 days straight of sunshine. Baleage was probably developed for putting up hay in NY. NY is the 3rd largest dairy state. So, lots of dairies all around. They generally green chop hay - maybe 4 or 5 times thru the summer. But, even the dairyman has added the choice of baleage.

Latest posts