Checking Cows

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
Was out checking the cows and bulls today. Took a few pictures.

JHH here is that cow you were asking about in my last post. She is #308.
IMG_6644.jpg

IMG_6645.jpg

Daughters cow and calf
IMG_6640.jpg

IMG_6641.jpg

Gathered at the water tank
IMG_6650.jpg

Memory and Bear together,I named the cow that because she had a heart looking mark on her head a birth in 2008.
IMG_6634.jpg

108 heifer calf
IMG_6630.jpg

New bull sniffing around
IMG_6625.jpg

IMG_6626.jpg

HOLY CRAP your cows are big fat pigs !!! :D That is meant in a very very complimentary way ILH. They look awesome as do their babes :D

Wish we had that pasture, was just back from checking on my gals and they are not near what they should be. Too wet and too cold here. NOT complaining , will take wet over drought any day . :(

big fat beauties. nice looking stock - i like that heifer calf. what part of your herd is polled?

Yeah a few of them haven't missed many meals. :lol2:

HD look at our Bear bull, he has not lost his winter coat at all yet. Looks pretty wooly. Our new bull has his winter coat all over his head and neck too.
Cows are still not 100% slicked off either.
Was 55F here yesterday.

tsmaxx47 they are all horned. The heifer bull has some polled in his back ground though.
We knock the horns off. FIL had some horned cows years ago that caused a lot of problems and injuries so they started dehorning them.

Thanks for posting the pic's!! What a great way to start my day. I love looking at those cattle. Those mothers are doing a great job at raising them calves. I really love your daughters pair.

Nice looking herd of cattle. Our cattle were a little behind slicking off for a while with
the cool spring we had......Then it went straight to summertime temperatures and they
got caught up fast! Who bred your new bull?
DM

JHH I just checked her record and she only had 2 years in which she did not raise a calf, lost one during the pasterella outbreak we had back in '07. Her other calf was still born in '09.

Last years calf weaned at 564# was a BW at 85#. Weaned a steer calf in '08 at 590#. Didn't get a BW on him. I think last years weights at weaning was wrong. The sale yard showed a 35# gain average on our calves.

CKC1586":urlmfjtj said:
Beautiful! Beautiful cattle and beautiful country!!!! :tiphat: :wave:

Exactly!!

One of the pictures (one with calf under mothers tail) reminds me of a story. When youngest daughter was naming calves, one was nursing from behind the cow when the cow took a big dump on the calf's head. Daughter named the calf "stinky". That picture just brought back one of those memories from my daughter's childhood.................thanks.

Love those Herefords!! In the near future, the animals with red hides will be sought out by commercial breeders in a very strong way.

Latest posts