Checking cattle/vacation

Help Support CattleToday:

My hubby can not remember a cow's number to save his life. When we were running several more head than we do now I would mention something about "6244" and I would gat a blank look. So I started taking pictures of each animal and putting them with their registration papers. Now all I have to do is show him the picture and wa la!!

We went to Denver last year. First time we'd been off the farm for more than a day at a time in over 6 years. Fortunatally we have very good friends that stop out every day while we are gone and check on things for us. The favor is always returned when ever they call and need a hand. Nice to have good friends!!!

Heck went on vacation once and stayed, thats why I'm in Tennessee
10 bucks and hour is for school kids Its 2005 and Try to buy a truck
working for 10 and hour.

Check mine at least twice a day,before I go to work then when I come home from work and feed. The pastures surround the house. This time of year I keep a closer eye on the ones due to calve, they get moved to a smaller pasture right close to the house.
As for vacation....does a 2 day bonsai trip north for mother-in-law's funeral 3 years ago count? Then we had a dear friend and mentor stay here at the house. We all help each other out when we can.

At the farm where I work they check the cows at least once a day and the ones due to calve get checked twice a day except weekends then its only one time daily for the "expecting" groups.

Katherine

OH..... thats what vacations are...I just figured it out................the days that I am just absolutely too sick to leave the house and work outside. :cry: Sometimes I even get a cold drink brought to me along with a pat on the head, now that's vacation! :cry: Thank goodness far and few between.

Check the cows morning and evening. Checked them at dark yesterday and everyone seemed ok. The earliest I should have gotten any calves is Feb. 24 based on when the bull went in last spring. This morning we had a heavy, wet snow and I had a first-calf heifer missing. Found her with a small bull calf up back of the stock pond. Got her and the calf in the barn and I guess they're none the worse for it. Used towels and wife's hair dryer to get the calf dry. At 4:30 this afternoon had another heifer calve. They are both about 8 days early--must be the weather. The calves are both 45 - 50 lbs. Sired by a son of Lucy's Boy. He is really a calving ease sire. Only got 14 more first-timers to go! Because of these early calves, I will start checking the cattle at 1 or 2 a.m. until calving is over.

Old Man
The gestation table that I use says older and bigger cows can go +10,heifers and smaller cows can go -10. I find they usually just come when least expected :lol:
your friend
Mike

We check cattle around here at least twice a day. As far as vacations, we take a 7 or 14 day family vacation each year, depending on what time of the year we go and where we are going. While we are gone the hired hand runs everything just like I was here.

Cattle can calve anywhere from 270 days to 295 days. I've had Brahman cattle that will calve at 275 days others that go the full 295.

Beginning to think that my girls are neglected. Check every other day when working (12 hour shifs rotating) everyday when off. But I also don't have to deal the real cold temp that some of you guys deal with up north

My cattle checks vary depending on the time of year. Now, during calving season it is at least two or three time. If I have a heifer getting ready to pop it might be 5 or 6 times. In the grazing season I do MIG and I move them daily so they get checked then. Other times I probably check once a day.
I have two grown children who each have a cow in the herd. Their cows stay for free. In return when I need to leave they take care of the cows. Works well for both of us. Their calves are pure profit for them and I get reliable help when I need it.
Dave

Boy I must be an outlier. Sometimes I get to the place everyday other times it may be two weeks. Hung a cowbell from my bumber, when I come in the gate the cows beat me to the pens hoping for cake. Still new to the game but have not had any serious issues as of yet. You would think the two week stent would make the cows forget me. Ought to see um run though. :lol:

Tman":1o7q0q5y said:
Boy I must be an outlier. Sometimes I get to the place everyday other times it may be two weeks. Hung a cowbell from my bumber, when I come in the gate the cows beat me to the pens hoping for cake. Still new to the game but have not had any serious issues as of yet. You would think the two week stent would make the cows forget me. Ought to see um run though. :lol:
Tman, haven't heard from you for a spell.You been on vacation? :)

No that I can agree with the others on, Vacation ???? what is that ?. My idea of a vacation is when I get to the place and hang out with the cattle. I am afraid too much work over the past few months.

Good to see everyone on the boards again.

Thanx asking

Latest posts