Votes: 6 37.5%
  • ELECTRIC

Votes: 8 50.0%
  • HIGH TENSILE

Votes: 2 12.5%
  • METAL

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Your asking three different questions and expect 1 answer. The best fence is seldom, if every, the cheapest. The easiest is probably going to be cheap(er) but probably not the best fence.

he's right.... you're asking 3 separate questions and expecting one answer!! I think one strand of electric is probably the cheapest or easiest but not always the best!! JMHO

I have been working on my fences for the last six weeks, weather permitting. I can tell you that low cost [cheap] materials are just that. If you want the best, Buy american made material. It is more expensive but you won't regret it in the long run. Time is also money.
Tom.

By metal, do you mean woven wire field fence? If so, that's by far the most expensive and most labor intensive to put up- and take down. What's the diff between high tensile and electric? Two strands of high tensile electric is the cheapest, easiest, and best for me but my cows aren't near any highways.

Best 6-7 foot steel ,heavy duty gauge , panel fence, braced in cement..

Next best, 5 wire strand barb wire with an other one or two hot wires running through as well, you can even do an additional single strand hot wire a half a foot on top, just for the odd jumper.

The next 4 strand with a hot wire.

The very least is to do a double hot wire smooth tensile fence with a very very good ground connection..

Cheap is the last thing you should worry about when containing animals, their safety and the peoples safety should be your number one concern..

But like others asked where are you wanting this fence, if it is in a well contained area already things will differ..

hillsdown":21an3vi1 said:
OK, the best and cheapest is a four stand barb wire using at least 4 inch fence posts..
Not knocking your answer HD, just expanding on it a bit.

If you think longer term. Bigger post and another wire won't be cheapest up front but 15-20 years later you might be looing at a fence still standing and not replacing it. Then you start collecting on the added up front expense. Adding a fifth wire brings the spacing closer together and helps cut down on grazing thru the fence which tends to loosen and stretch the wire. The major work setting the post has already been done. Adding another wire at this point is easy.

On the fences I have been replacing, I've been using 4 barb wire and 1 smooth. Wood post every 32 ft with 3 T-post in between. Smooth wire is the middle wire and is electrified. This does two things. It is a way to get the electrified fence just about anywhere I might want to put up a temporary one and it cuts down on thru the fence grazing.

kerley":3iur9gha said:
If you want the best, Buy american made material. It is more expensive but you won't regret it in the long run.
Tom.

That's some mighty fine advice. Stay away from Chinese fence.

epa has got to be a pain in a$$ for american manterials, I use a barb wire from south of the border, the gav. is better I think...

alftn":2j53o6im said:
epa has got to be a pain in a$$ for american manterials, I use a barb wire from south of the border, the gav. is better I think...
Beckeart has the heaviest galvanization as I have ever seen they have a 14 ga wire that I have used on the last couple of fences that we really like it is in between Gaucho and regular 12.5 ga wire and it has a class 3 galvanization and it is made in the USA

Latest posts