cheaper than diesel fly rub mix?????

Help Support CattleToday:

jayfarmlaw

Reaction score
I have not been a big fan of flytags...but have used them for the last 10 years. This year I made a back rub...sort of. A 5 foot piece of 4" pvc pipe, capped at both ends with 5 length of rope coming out of the top and hanging down about 2 feet. You fill it with a diesel and pyrethene mix the cows walk under it. The ropes stay wet through wicking the solution out of the tank. It works better than flytags.

The problem is that 4.59 diesel is getting expensive. I am goint to try mixing the pyrethene with water and see how it goes. Anyone have any ideas for a thin fuel oil type fluid that would be cheaper than diesel?

Thanks in advance for your response.

Jay

As expensive as it is, diesel is still the best solution. Water won;t keep the wipe wet enough to leave a residue on the wipe.

Was at a cow/calf clinic a few months back (before diesel skyrocketed) and extension agent says they are now recommending using mineral oil instead on diesel for the back rub (despite the instructions on the rub). Says they are starting to detect diesel concentration in the fat and thus flavor of the beef. I have no study to reference, this is just what the guy said.

Conagher":1k7egasu said:
Was at a cow/calf clinic a few months back (before diesel skyrocketed) and extension agent says they are now recommending using mineral oil instead on diesel for the back rub (despite the instructions on the rub). Says they are starting to detect diesel concentration in the fat and thus flavor of the beef. I have no study to reference, this is just what the guy said.

Have you priced mineral oil? Makes diesel look lieka bargain. The best price I found on it was just over 9 bucks a gallon

dun":3r6vp5sr said:
Conagher":3r6vp5sr said:

Have you priced mineral oil? Makes diesel look lieka bargain. The best price I found on it was just over 9 bucks a gallon

Yes, I have priced it considering I have been using it on my rubs for the last six months or so. I've tasted diesel before; I'm not a big fan of the flavor, but to each his own I guess.

Conagher":7f5dk78z said:
dun":7f5dk78z said:
Conagher":7f5dk78z said:

Yes, I have priced it considering I have been using it on my rubs for the last six months or so. I've tasted diesel before; I'm not a big fan of the flavor, but to each his own I guess.

We've been using diesel for around 10 years and have never noticed a flavor in the meat and neither have our meat customers. If they're going to taste the diesel then they should be tasting the fly chemicals too.

dun":1100rbsq said:
We've been using diesel for around 10 years and have never noticed a flavor in the meat and neither have our meat customers. If they're going to taste the diesel then they should be tasting the fly chemicals too.

Dun, I honestly don't know. As mentioned, I have not seen any study on it, I was just taking his word for it and it seems to make sense to not purposely apply a petroleum product to a food source. Does the insecticide have the same absorption characteristics of diesel? I don't know this answer either; I'm neither a chemist nor biologist. I believe the guy's name was Dr. Jason Banta at the Texas A&M Overton, TX research station if you care to contact him for more detail.

Conagher":3hmtydnn said:
dun":3hmtydnn said:

Dun, I honestly don't know. As mentioned, I have not seen any study on it, I was just taking his word for it and it seems to make sense to not purposely apply a petroleum product to a food source. Does the insecticide have the same absorption characteristics of diesel? I don't know this answer either; I'm neither a chemist nor biologist. I believe the guy's name was Dr. Jason Banta at the Texas A&M Overton, TX research station if you care to contact him for more detail.

I use a rub with mineral oil and peppermint oil as the insecticide. Does that mean I be eatin "peppermint patties"?

As I see it, the rub and flyps (hanging cloths to get some insecticide on the face area and near the eyes) don't apply large amounts of diesel or insecticide. That is the beauty of the rubs. Light but repeated application.

What is applied by the rub seems to be going mostly on the hair. The rub doesn't really seem wet with diesel.

There may be some concern if you are actually spraying large quantities of diesel/insecticide mix directly onto the animals.

However I doubt the rub loaded with 1 gal of diesel every couple weeks during the summer distributed over the entire herd, much of which lands on the ground when loading or evaporates, affects the taste of the meat.

About like applying suntan lotion at the pool - or less.

Here is a photo of my rub across the entrance to the waterer from last summer. The cow is not appreciably covered with diesel!

I'm sure somebody's gonna tell me I shouldn't, but I use used motor oil. It's too thick to wick through the author's setup, but works well in a rub. I've thought about trying used transmission fluid. Local transmission shop is happy to let you have some. People use it to spray on their log houses, decks, and barns.

dyates":abi2ck87 said:
I'm sure somebody's gonna tell me I shouldn't, but I use used motor oil. It's too thick to wick through the author's setup, but works well in a rub. I've thought about trying used transmission fluid. Local transmission shop is happy to let you have some. People use it to spray on their log houses, decks, and barns.

ive done this..werks fine but i dont know if it would wick out the top. mines abig long cloth tube kinda so it settle to the bottm not really wickin

taste the diesel in the meat..only if theyre eatin the stuff..this guy sounds like my ag agent..useless...i get better info here than from her. dont get me started on her advice on common practices...common dont mean right..but shes clueless in the real world

OK....Water doesnt work. I tried it and it it evaporates too quick to stay on the ropes...just like the responses said. I had already filled it before I read the replies.

I keep a pump up garden sprayer with diesel/pyrethene mix to give any cows a jump start so the rub can take over from there. It works very well. Any time I see a cow with lots of flies, I will get them up and hit her with a good coat of the fly mix.

I think I will try used waste oil or t-fluid and diesel mixed to thin it down. I will post my results.

Thanks again for all of the responses. I aprreciate it.

Jay

SFFarms":2i5aae1f said:
Could i mix the fly rub with diesel in spray bottles and sprayers for better results?

If you are going to spray it on the cattle, just mix it with water as directed in the instructions for treating animals. I use a pump up sparyer to give mine a dose when the flies get out of control and I don't want to run them thru the chute. Some of them I can put a bag of range cubes out and give them a squirt just walking thru them.

I do like most of you mix it it pump sprayers give the cows lil feed and spray down there backs.
Im wondering if i messing up i buy this stuff called De licer, cant remember company makes it costs 26$ a gallon a works about 3 weeks to a month everytime i spray i never mix water with it and some cows dont bother them and some run like it burns them. So is this stuff buring them or hurting them? Do i need to add water? Will adding diesel to the mix in sprayers do any more damage?

SFFarms":2sld3p2g said:
I do like most of you mix it it pump sprayers give the cows lil feed and spray down there backs.
Im wondering if i messing up i buy this stuff called De licer, cant remember company makes it costs 26$ a gallon a works about 3 weeks to a month everytime i spray i never mix water with it and some cows dont bother them and some run like it burns them. So is this stuff buring them or hurting them? Do i need to add water? Will adding diesel to the mix in sprayers do any more damage?

I would suggest you change to a rub suspended in a spot they will pass through at least once a day and put a mixture of permythren II and diesel on it, as directed on the rub instructions.

Stop spraying chemicals especially a lot of diesel directly on the cattle unless that is specifically described on the label.

Here is a link with pictures of some different options for a rub:

http://www.phwhite.com/

Look especially at the pictures about 1/2 way down the first page. Good luck.

Permythren spray works well for me but I have not had much success with the rubs and face flaps. It is good for their back and sides but the flies go to the stomach. Running them through the chute once a month and spraying the stomachs does the trick.

I put on fly tags from the vet this year and they have been great.

The high dollar tags I bought from the feed stores in past years just didn't have enough mustard.

There are ranches all around me. If we all treated for flies at the same time it would help.

are yall buyin the face flaps or makin em outta somethin...i gotta hang mine back up...just now startin to get flies round....i hate it when they fill up the truck..

Latest posts