cheaper cattle today

Help Support CattleToday:

hillrancher

Reaction score
Went to the cows calf auction today. Did not know if I was at a funeral or a wake. The only cattle that was close to the previous price were good quality black cows and calves. Any thing that was less desirable was a steel compared to the past. There were 4 pot loads headed to Georgia this is a reverse of what has been in the past. We have seen cattle from Georgia here before not going there. Everyone has a bad outlook on the future. The owner said do not bring any thing in and expect to get what it is worth in the next week or so.
I do not know what to do as everyone else, have to many to eat. Chicken is cheaper and cannot sell beef.

Now is the time to buy if you can afford it. In the past your post could of gone the other way, prices were too high and you could only grab a few that were under par and not wanted by the big guys.

hillrancher":1l724i26 said:
Went to the cows calf auction today. Did not know if I was at a funeral or a wake. The only cattle that was close to the previous price were good quality black cows and calves. Any thing that was less desirable was a steel compared to the past. There were 4 pot loads headed to Georgia this is a reverse of what has been in the past. We have seen cattle from Georgia here before not going there. Everyone has a bad outlook on the future. The owner said do not bring any thing in and expect to get what it is worth in the next week or so.
I do not know what to do as everyone else, have to many to eat. Chicken is cheaper and cannot sell beef.
Which barn was that? Thanks

There was a big sale yesterday in McAllister Oklahoma of replacement heifers, cows and bulls-from the flyer we saw it looked like some good cattle available. Anyone go or know what the prices were?? We are in west Arkansas so that would affect what is going on here.

I went to our local sale on Wed the 18th...prices were down also..seemed like everything was down .20 lb (I missed the fats, this was on feeders). Stuff that would have sold for $1 lb was down to .80 lb. Interesting enough was they were paying a premium for red--the auctioneer would say how many more of these red ones..saw some go for $1.22 lb. They had some nice full blood limi's and simi's hefiers (good sized 1000+) priced in the .60's and a holstien heifer 3rd stage ($525) go through, wish I had extra hay and money to buy.

donnaIL":14us4ixz said:
I went to our local sale on Wed the 18th...prices were down also..seemed like everything was down .20 lb (I missed the fats, this was on feeders). Stuff that would have sold for $1 lb was down to .80 lb. Interesting enough was they were paying a premium for red--the auctioneer would say how many more of these red ones..saw some go for $1.22 lb. They had some nice full blood limi's and simi's hefiers (good sized 1000+) priced in the .60's and a holstien heifer 3rd stage ($525) go through, wish I had extra hay and money to buy.

You have a good market if a red calf, or any color, brought 1.22.
Good looking lightweights, I imagine?
I saw black 6 wt heifers sell for 87.50. Good looking calves.

Cattle market has been in the pits through the winter. The recovery usually comes in January, but this year it took until Feb. And the seasonal upturn hasn't been as strong as I've come to expect, especially considering corn is way cheaper.
Cows and General Motors stock are both in the dumpster, and I guess a cow will taste better.

Production in the last usda report was off 5 or 6% from the year before, so we're selling less beef (at least USA beef) at lower prices. I don't think my econ profs ever discussed that scenario, but I went to school during boom times.

Latest posts