Cheap

Help Support CattleToday:

TheBullLady

Reaction score
Went to a registered sale last Saturday, and they were about half the price of the same sale last year! The high selling lot last year was over $10K, this year $4500. Really good bred heifers were going for $1200 to $1400 average. Pretty sorry if you were selling.. good if you could afford to take a few home! One of the consignors drove all the way to Texas from Wisconsin. Wondered if anyone else is seeing similar at the registered sales?

I went to a Red Angus sale Saturday before last in Cullman, Alabama and I was pretty underwhelmed. Nothing got just dogged; but not much went over $2000 either and we didn't have any of those lots with the inexplicably high price. A lot of the stuff I really liked were bringing around $1200. The ones I didn't much care for were bringing around $1200. I will look for the catalog. I wrote down all the prices, though that paid for pickup truck burned up two days later so I am not sure if I still have it or not.

Only been to 2 Angus sales this spring, one the bulls did about the same as last year and the other bulls were cheaper. Both sales the females seem to be about the same, some suprised me what they brought. the commercials at these sales that were bred or with calf at side did really good in my eyes. Seen some 1st or 2nd calvers with small calves at side, really thin cows bring $1175 while Reg. Angus pairs in a lot better shape were $1200-1300 range. Neighbor went to a bull sale and got a nice bull for $1450 said some were less than a $1000.

Around here, no one really cares about registered animals at the sales lately. No one is buying. They canceled the state Holstein sale this year that has been going on for 20+ years. If you want to sell you have to send your animals to the general auction and you don't get anything for them-most of the cattle dealers have entire herds they can't get rid of. Its pretty depressing.

Haven't been to or heard anything about Purebred sales lately, but the bull sales up here are pretty hot. Went to one yesterday, Char, Red Angus and Gelbveih.

Chars averaged almost $3000
Reds were below that probably around $2500
Gelbveihs were cheap one sold for $2200, two sold for $1600 and 2 passed out.

TheBullLady":22ojilm6 said:
Went to a registered sale last Saturday, and they were about half the price of the same sale last year! The high selling lot last year was over $10K, this year $4500. Really good bred heifers were going for $1200 to $1400 average. Pretty sorry if you were selling.. good if you could afford to take a few home! One of the consignors drove all the way to Texas from Wisconsin. Wondered if anyone else is seeing similar at the registered sales?

Ouch. We haven't seen any registered female sales this year. Angus bull prices seem to be holding up pretty well. I think a lot depends on where you are and the breed you're selling.

Yea, I dug out that catalog. On the top side, a two year old Gold Robber daughter with a heifer calf brought $3250. A two year old RD Freedom daughter with a heifer calf also brought $3250. An 18 month old Travlin Express bull brought $2500. On the bottom end were $750, $800, and $850 heifers.

The sad thing is those animals were fed on last year's inflated feed prices.

brandon - Why'd your truck burn up?

im going to a reg beefmaster sale in may that has a sell out in it.so ill see how cheap the cattle sales for.but what really hurts is i cant buy a bunch of them right now.

At the MO Red Angus sale next week-end I'm hoping mine bring last years prices and the ones I want to buy bring this years prices.
Never works out like that though

cfpinz":6bufz0eg said:
brandon - Why'd your truck burn up?

I wish I knew. It was a 2003 Ford Ranger we have had for all 136,000 miles. Except for brakes, tires, a battery, a door a cow had dented in, and some minor odds and ends it never had any mechanical problems. The heater fan sounded rough that morning. That afternoon I was out on a 6 mile trip to check on the other truck (in the shop for brakes). I got 1.5 miles when a little white smoke started coming out of the vents. I cut off the AC then heavy black smoke started pouring out. I got the fire out with bottled water and a borrowed fire extinguisher from the WalGreens Pharmacy; but the heater, ac, right dash, some of the wiring harness, carpet, wind shield, and passenger side airbag were destroyed. With that many miles, the goofy insurance company won't fix it, even though engine, trans, seats, and all the body are completely sound.

Latest posts