(cheap) scales set-up?

Help Support CattleToday:

pdubdo

Reaction score
Bought a scales kit off amazon for $170 and built a wooden platform for it. Good news is it's accurate and crazy cheap compared to traditional scales. Bad news is that it has to be on a flat surface to work. My baseline plan is to pour a 3" thick concrete pad in the alleyway leading up to my headgate. Anyone have a better idea? My working pens are pretty bare-bones in the middle of my pasture. I didn't really want slippery concrete issues, but might be price I pay for buying cheap scales.

Set the load cells on cross ties buried where only a couple inches are showing above the dirt line. I guess you know your platform will have to support the full weight of the animal without binding on the sides or bowing and touching the ground don't you?

That's a good option to consider-thanks. And it's mostly for weaning weights. We have put 600 pounds of people on it so far and it weighs accurately. I'm sure I will try it on one of my 1300 lb mommas though and we'll see what happens!

Can you pour 4 12" piers 3 to four feet deep? Might be easier than pouring a slab that might break or move. Be prepared for the calves to stomp around and be pretty hard on the platform. I have a set on a squeeze chute and it's not as easy to weigh calves as you would think. Cows and bulls are easy enough but calves seem to stomp and cause a fuzz. I'm guessing it's because they aren't in the routine of going through the alley and chute

Can you pour 4 12" piers 3 to four feet deep? Might be easier than pouring a slab that might break or move. Be prepared for the calves to stomp around and be pretty hard on the platform. I have a set on a squeeze chute and it's not as easy to weigh calves as you would think. Cows and bulls are easy enough but calves seem to stomp and cause a fuzz. I'm guessing it's because they aren't in the routine of going through the alley and chute
I thought about this, but not sure if over time, cows will trample down the soil around it and I'll be left with 4 small posts sticking up out of the ground...

I bought a set of those about 4 years ago. Worked good for a couple years. Now I can't get them to calibrate right. Every time you weigh something it's a different weight.

Latest posts