Cheap bags of feed?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
I kinda mix my on feed. Shelled corn, and DDG. I call it 8 cents a pound. If I'm serious about feeding something, tha'ts what it gets.

You cant beat the convenience of a 50 pound bag of feed sometimes though. I run to the Rural King, and get 21 bags of feed every time I run out, just to have some around. It's a fairly nondescript looking textured feed. All byproducts no doubt. Seems to be soaked in molasses. It's either the molasses, or it's laced with crack, the way cattle go after it. In the absence cubes/cake in my area, it's my go to for towing cows etc.

It's $6.29 a bag, which works out to be about $250 a ton. Thats the cheapest bagged feed available in my area, and the highest ton price I've ever seen (I know your buying convenience).

Zero chance of making a dime, giving that stuff to feeder calves, but how good is a cheap bagged feed? Says its 14%.

Not the answer you wanna hear, but hunt some byproduct like M&M's and mix and bag your own. It should cheapen up your current feed and also adds the sugar they like. Pretty good energy also.

Bigfoot":3gif77jv said:
I kinda mix my on feed. Shelled corn, and DDG. I call it 8 cents a pound. If I'm serious about feeding something, tha'ts what it gets.

You cant beat the convenience of a 50 pound bag of feed sometimes though. I run to the Rural King, and get 21 bags of feed every time I run out, just to have some around. It's a fairly nondescript looking textured feed. All byproducts no doubt. Seems to be soaked in molasses. It's either the molasses, or it's laced with crack, the way cattle go after it. In the absence cubes/cake in my area, it's my go to for towing cows etc.

It's $6.29 a bag, which works out to be about $250 a ton. Thats the cheapest bagged feed available in my area, and the highest ton price I've ever seen (I know your buying convenience).

Zero chance of making a dime, giving that stuff to feeder calves, but how good is a cheap bagged feed? Says its 14%.
Bigfoot how much is a bag of chopped/cracked corn up your way?? If it's less than $6.29 a bag I'd mix that feed with a good amount of corn which would cut the protein, increase the energy quite a bit and do you a much better job of growing out those feeders.

TexasBred":2jaasw7w said:
Bigfoot":2jaasw7w said:

Bigfoot how much is a bag of chopped/cracked corn up your way?? If it's less than $6.29 a bag I'd mix that feed with a good amount of corn which would cut the protein, increase the energy quite a bit and do you a much better job of growing out those feeders.

Corn is over $8 a bag. I don't feed the elcheapo stuff to feeders. It's mostly for towing the cows, I feed my home mix to something I want to see grow.

Bigfoot":1znf0j15 said:
TexasBred":1znf0j15 said:
Bigfoot":1znf0j15 said:

Corn is over $8 a bag. I don't feed the elcheapo stuff to feeders. It's mostly for towing the cows, I feed my home mix to something I want to see grow.
Now I gotta ask how you make 8 cents a pound feed mix when the corn cost $.18 a lb.??

TexasBred":2vsmljmu said:
Bigfoot":2vsmljmu said:
TexasBred":2vsmljmu said:

Now I gotta ask how you make 8 cents a pound feed mix when the corn cost $.18 a lb.??

I buy it off the farm. The $8 is already in a bag at the feed mill/tsc.

shaz":20yk3w19 said:
How much is the DDG per ton Bigfoot?

I think I gave 145 a ton for the last load. Ran about 160 most of the winter.

Bigfoot":27zlufl8 said:

Of course cake is king here. Everyone uses it to check cows. You pull in a pasture toot the horn or siren. Pour a bag out in a long line and count tails.
If you check five pastures 40 bucks just to count em. We cleaned out the feed barn and stuff it in old feed sacks. A mix of cottonseed, corn and busted squares. I'll use it every other trip. They don't like it like cake so still have to cake em enough to keep em were they come running.

One year I got my hands on some small squares of good sweet haygrazer. Very rarely square baled here. I know you use it and the cows love it. For just checking cows or moving them it worked very well. And at a couple bucks a square was cheap enough.

TexasBred":pdf797tp said:
Bigfoot":pdf797tp said:
TexasBred":pdf797tp said:

$10+/bushel corn down there? I got to go some math but we got just short of $3.45 here today at the river terminal. I'd think we could truck it there cheaper that $10/bu. I pay the boss $.07/# or $3.92/bu for corn to use his tractor and fuel to grind feed using my mill for my cattle. Ddg here to trucking included under $120 ton

Till-Hill":29vz2g3y said:
TexasBred":29vz2g3y said:
Bigfoot":29vz2g3y said:
$10+/bushel corn down there? I got to go some math but we got just short of $3.45 here today at the river terminal. I'd think we could truck it there cheaper that $10/bu. I pay the boss $.07/# or $3.92/bu for corn to use his tractor and fuel to grind feed using my mill for my cattle. Ddg here to trucking included under $120 ton

I'm in the middle of the corn belt and they want 300 / ton for pure uncracked corn here! I have a mill 6 miles away and about another 10 within 30 miles and they all want that price.. yet the farm brings it in and they give him 3.50 !!!! its insane!!

I have to drive an hour away and pick it up for 180 / ton which I think is still too much. I got some large corn growers near me with large amounts of storage.. as soon as I can get the structures I'm going to try to buy it direct off one of them which I think would be pretty easy. I can get DDG's for 80/ton but that doesn't include delivery.. I'm about 30 miles from the plant so I figure 120 for delivery.. so it'd only ad about 6.00 / ton to it.

Till-Hill":m1fqqv8k said:
TexasBred":m1fqqv8k said:
Bigfoot":m1fqqv8k said:
I have no idea where my fingers came up with that $.18 a lb. Till.....guess they have a mind of their own. :lol: It's not quite that expensive...DDG on the other hand is not nearly as cheap down this way as what you guys are quoting either.

ddd75":15hsdf2z said:
Till-Hill":15hsdf2z said:
TexasBred":15hsdf2z said:

I'm in the middle of the corn belt and they want 300 / ton for pure uncracked corn here! I have a mill 6 miles away and about another 10 within 30 miles and they all want that price.. yet the farm brings it in and they give him 3.50 !!!! its insane!!

I have to drive an hour away and pick it up for 180 / ton which I think is still too much. I got some large corn growers near me with large amounts of storage.. as soon as I can get the structures I'm going to try to buy it direct off one of them which I think would be pretty easy. I can get DDG's for 80/ton but that doesn't include delivery.. I'm about 30 miles from the plant so I figure 120 for delivery.. so it'd only ad about 6.00 / ton to it.
Same thing here. At least 30 cents difference in an out. I tried buying oats last year. Gave buddy mine $1/bu wanted $2.30 from me and it wasn't food grade! I bought a mill for $1,200 and won't take long to pay that back.

Bigfoot":31z6gneu said:

Cheapest quality feed around here is by the ton in super sack @ 300 a ton.
I bet 75% of the feed that leaves the mill is in super sack.
You can get some lower quality stuff for 260 a ton.

Bigfoot":k3iasr5c said:

Why can we not get cubes cake here? Burkmans make them in Danville but you have to buy a 5 on minimum get them here.

littletom":5qsh4ei5 said:
Bigfoot":5qsh4ei5 said:

Why can we not get cubes cake here? Burkmans make them in Danville but you have to buy a 5 on minimum get them here.

I didn't know they were available anywhere.

Asking for Cattle cubes / cake will get you some strange looks around here. TSC lists cubes online but I can't even get the local store to get it ordered in. I use a 12% protein steer feed from the local mill at about $270 a ton delivered in bulk. $320 a ton or $8 a bag for the same stuff bagged and picked up 20 miles away. Feed store down the road does have a steer ration that's 14% protein and seems to be slightly better quality but it's $11 a bag. I'll just feed more of the cheaper stuff... I'm in mostly horse country and close to dairy country, not a lot of options unless you're a big timer.

kenny thomas":2bcvaopo said:
I buy 16% delivered into my,upright bin for 175 a ton. Never seen cake or cubes anywhere here.
This is amazing. Have always thought range cubes were more or less the universal winter supplement for cattle. But if they're not there they're not there. What other feeds do you folks feed and do they require feed troughs??

Latest posts