Charolias Pros and Cons

Help Support CattleToday:

Personally, never had any luck with em. Way to flighty. They'd take off for the hills at first sight of a human.

It was probably just these, but that memory has stuck with me over the years and I won't own anymore.

Know only two folk that raised them - they got in about 15yrs ago or so (think that is when then gained some popularity in these parts) - one got out of farming the other went back to angus.

My Charlais Xs are not my favorite cattle to work with, but when their calves head down the road, those girls really shine. Charlais definately have a place in the cattle industry.

cfpinz

P1260204.jpg

breed them char to char or cross them with limo or beefmaster and the sale barn begs for more - :D

I like em. I have 4 charx cows (all gentle as I cull for disposition) and 4 char/ charx heifers. Mine are easy keepers.

They have good calves and they bring decent prices at weaning.

high weaning weight, high yearling weight, decent marbling, breeding to the right bull, you'll have good size calves not to big not to small, i've personally not had a problem with docility, bred out of my herd,
home010.jpg

~J.P.[/img][/url]

Half my herd is Charolais. I absolutely love the breed. They can be bred to nearly any other breed to make one heck of a nice looking calf. As for the docility, I think that every breed will have those flighty animals. There is quite a few Char in my area and for the most part they are quite easy to work with. It all depends on the genetics and how much you work with the animals in my opinion.

My uncle has raised them before. I don't know how they treated him, but they sure are pretty when there's a whole pasture of them. Especially the calves. I bought a CharXAngus heifer off a cow/calf split week before last and she's big and beautiful. Born on March 7th and almost as big as the calves I got in January. I would like to have more like that.

She's wild as a March hare, though! Takes her bottle runs off.

I have a few. I like them as stocker calves. They grow out well. I do have one that won't let you within 100 foot of it. I also have a hereford calf the same way. You have these in any type of cattle. In my stockers I have all the major breeds (red uns, black uns, and white uns) of cattle. The ones I perfer is the ones that make me the most money. That is constantly changing. One week its this color next week its something differant.

yeha i love the breed we got lucky and got a young sire semen from or provinical semen dealer and it turned out after we had abought all this season to be an amzing bull that kept win nin all over canada and they stoppped selling semen so we are getting amazing calves with steers arsses on them

I like Char (and most crosses) calves that come thru here---

EXCEPT that anyone that breeds a Char or Char x to a Brahma should be drawn and quartered.
That is one miserable to down right lethal animal to work or to get weight on fast.