charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

What do y'all think of charolais, don't see much about them on here any coments good or bad.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Large, hard calvers, high maintaince, low quality meat, poor milkers. Good draft animals.
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Hello:
I do go to the sell barn and buy charolais cross bred calves and do feed them out for resale and they at times do great. But I only buy 1/2 to 3/4.

They do grow out well for me. There is one charolais cross that I am now buying lots of and I am going to keep a few of the crossbred heifers and see how the do perform as cows. I only buy calves sired by a Polled charolais bulls. I do know in advance the breed that I am going to breed the heifers too and as well a list of bulls that I do know that are ease calving. So I do know in advance there will not be any problems.

When I buy charolais cross cattle I do know in advance what I am going to pay for them and I do have a limit on what that will be. But that is the way I buy any breed of cattle.

I got one charolais bull calf on Dec. 5th,2003 when the market was very low from all of the media coverage of Mad Cow that was the deal of 2003. In Nov of 2003 the same bull would have sold for three times more than what I did pay for him. The bull calf was a percentage charolais bull sired by a top charolais AI sirer!

There are a few parts of the USA where there are lots of charolais cattle.

Regards;
Lee
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
The Mad Cow disease news did not hit until the evening of Dec. 23, 2003. Thank you; and there vere few sales beteeen then and Jan 5 , 2004.
Thank You
 
OP
A

Anonymous

Anonymous":1qzuprtv said:
Large, hard calvers, high maintaince, low quality meat, poor milkers. Good draft animals.

don't know where you get your information...i own charolais cattle and have not had any calving problems in 8 years .given that they used to have calving problems, through good management its not that big of a problem anymore... not very high mainanance.. they gain better than my crosses do.. i know of a guy that had a pen of full blood charolais that all graded out prime.. they marble pretty well .. and the bulls are great to put on cross cattle...
 

la4angus

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 31, 2004
Messages
5,063
Reaction score
0
Location
South La
A. delaGarza":2sfgpmg1 said:
mark":2sfgpmg1 said:
What do y'all think of charolais, don't see much about them on here any coments good or bad.
a good breed, best if use as terminal breed, I prefer Limousin less calving problems
delaGarza
Read parkercattlecompany post
No calving problems anymore with charolais. :eek: :lol: :? :?
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
1
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
la4angus":16ze41qo said:
A. delaGarza":16ze41qo said:
mark":16ze41qo said:
What do y'all think of charolais, don't see much about them on here any coments good or bad.
a good breed, best if use as terminal breed, I prefer Limousin less calving problems
delaGarza
Read parkercattlecompany post
No calving problems anymore with charolais. :eek: :lol: :? :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
my Dad have been breeding Full French Charolaise since 1968 and we are still using top of the notch semen from French bloodlines and believe me we still have calving problems, that's the one of the two reasons why I prefer Limousins, the other is color
 

Oldtimer

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 19, 2004
Messages
3,913
Reaction score
6
Location
Northeast Montana
I know of quite a few outfits that run Charolais bulls with their black and black baldy cows- and they swear by them. They only use them on their mature cows and use angus bulls on their heifers. They sell all of the charX calves and claim that it has really helped raise weaning weights.

Twenty years ago I had a neighbors charolais bulls breed some of my cows. Since the white and grey colored calves didn't fit the load of calves I was selling I kept the heifers as replacements thinking that I would throw a black angus bull back on them and get black calves- no way- still got grey or white calves. Being bullheaded, I kept this crosses heifers as replacements. Now, twenty years later, I still have about 20 head of grey cows left in the herd- they are moderate framed and built more like angus than a charolais and even though most don't have anymore than an 1/8 Charolais, they will still throw an occasional grey or white calf, when bred to a black angus bull.
 

A. delaGarza

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
504
Reaction score
1
Location
N.E. Mexico & Deep South Texas
Oldtimer":22w7yubc said:
I know of quite a few outfits that run Charolais bulls with their black and black baldy cows- and they swear by them. They only use them on their mature cows and use angus bulls on their heifers. They sell all of the charX calves and claim that it has really helped raise weaning weights.

Twenty years ago I had a neighbors charolais bulls breed some of my cows. Since the white and grey colored calves didn't fit the load of calves I was selling I kept the heifers as replacements thinking that I would throw a black angus bull back on them and get black calves- no way- still got grey or white calves. Being bullheaded, I kept this crosses heifers as replacements. Now, twenty years later, I still have about 20 head of grey cows left in the herd- they are moderate framed and built more like angus than a charolais and even though most don't have anymore than an 1/8 Charolais, they will still throw an occasional grey or white calf, when bred to a black angus bull.

amazing, with color pattern but is the truth.

I have a white 4 months CharolaisXLimosin heifer, I got the wrong semen straw when I A.I. the Limo cow and it was the second mistake last year the other was a Simmental semen staw with a Romagnola cow the bull has the Simmental color pattern, but it really doesn't matter the %'s of mistakes was pretty low considering that I A.I. around 350 cows
 

Colin Chevalley

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 25, 2003
Messages
47
Reaction score
0
Location
Northern NSW Australia
Good cattle,need to be conscious of calving problems,cracked up in our drought compared to our other breeds,need more feed than most breeds,
they cross well with our Brahmans and South Devons,good cross over Angus then something else over that cross
 

Latest posts

Top