Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

I,ve got a yearling charolais bull. I was looking for some information or insight into helping determine the best breed for me to cross him with. My markets are high on Brangus or Black cows. I was also wanting a breed that would have as little of a calving problem as possible.

[email protected]

Recently the same cross(Angus or Brangus cows to Charolais bulls) has been doing very well in this part of the country.(central Texas) We even keep one pasture of that cross. About the bull,I would hesitate to put a Charolais bull on smaller hefiers but on most cows should be fine.

[email protected]

I would look at crossing this bull with high percentage Saler cows. They will be a little bigger than your average angus and about the same size as the other continentals but they specialize in calving ease which you said you specifically looking for. They will allow you to target the red meat market but will still have enough carcass quality so you should not get docked at the sale barn.

[email protected]

>What about crossing him w/ a brahman cow? I have brahmans, and I was advise to cross with heredord. any thoughts?

Recently the same cross(Angus or
> Brangus cows to Charolais bulls)
> has been doing very well in this
> part of the country.(central
> Texas) We even keep one pasture of
> that cross. About the bull,I would
> hesitate to put a Charolais bull
> on smaller hefiers but on most
> cows should be fine.

[email protected]

Latest posts