Charolais

Help Support CattleToday:

What bloodlines do you like?
Well sure like this WC Formula daughter I bought this spring ;). I am more concerned with the type of female than the bloodline though I have been doing a lot of research on what people have used that creates the type of calves that I want.

Some bulls that I would like to use in the future are: LT Venture, LT Affinity, Redemption, Rhinestone, Turton and Carbon Copy.

I like a lot of what Resource, Rushmore, Outsider, Diablo and Outlier produce too.

Well sure like this WC Formula daughter I bought this spring ;). I am more concerned with the type of female than the bloodline though I have been doing a lot of research on what people have used that creates the type of calves that I want.

Some bulls that I would like to use in the future are: LT Venture, LT Affinity, Redemption, Rhinestone, Turton and Carbon Copy.

I like a lot of what Resource, Rushmore, Outsider, Diablo and Outlier produce too.
It just dawned on me who I was talking to. Your profile doesn't have a location, lol
Glad you like her!!

Leslie- Bought a Resource x Kojo cow with a DC/BHD King F2503 Polled Bull calf at side. I should get her in this week and we will see how they look. At the price I figured I got a sweet deal!

We transitioned out our black bulls to Charolais bulls over a few years and have been running only Char bulls for a few years now. Cows are primarily black.and red generally 1200lbs. We don't see many calving issues, I think the breeders have done a good.job getting calving ease into the breed - I am careful to buy calving ease bulls though. The increased gain from the hybrid vigor and the Charolais breed in general is hard to overcome even if another color is fetching a premium but Char crosses generally sell at the upper end of the market here. At this point I can't see going back the calves are just that much nicer all around.

Was your farm more profitable while weaning 800# calves?
I think I know where you're coming from - is chasing high weaning weights better when they come with higher input costs? I've read plenty that says no it's not but that argument mostly seems to based on the premise that chasing high weaning weights means having increasingly bigger, harder to keep cows.
Luckily we don't all do the same thing - so you can buy replacements from someone who's breeding for efficiency and a more moderate sized cow, then breed them to something like a Charolais bull to give you more performance. I personally don't think an 8 weight calf is the be all and end all if it comes with higher input costs because it's all about profit but I'll happily raise a 7 weight off a cow that would raise a 6 weight if she's bred angus.

Toured a MN Char seed stock operation in July. They were supplementing pairs on pasture daily with corn silage. HUGE cows and calves. I asked what the cows weighed and was told about a ton...

Sounded like they sold most of their bulls in SD for making terminal crosses.

Last edited:

Latest posts