Charolais X

Help Support CattleToday:

jaydill

Reaction score
Anyone here have a little Charolais in their commercial herd? Specifically, char x limi? Anyone ever tried this cross? And if so, how'd it turn out for you? Pictures are always appreciated. :)

Jay,

We use Char bulls on the commercial girls.

As far as Char x Limi goes...well, the calves we had that were sired by Limos on our Char x cows were pretty impressive looking. Unfortunately, they were wilder than stink.

For some reason, this also held true with some Limo x Char bred heifers Honey picked up one year. Talk about wing-nuts - never did settle in very well - always heads up anytime they saw a human.

Won't even go into how much fun it was assisting a couple of them with malpresentations...much less the joy of having to treat any of their calves when they got sick. Not for the faint of heart.

Not saying that this is typical for everyone, as there's huge variations in temperments even within breeds...this was just the experiences we had here.

Take care.

jaydill":2ww2keev said:
Anyone here have a little Charolais in their commercial herd? Specifically, char x limi? Anyone ever tried this cross? And if so, how'd it turn out for you? Pictures are always appreciated. :)

Char X the Super Baldies and Brangus work for me.

Growthy, Tough, and hit all the grid targets too.

Limi x Beefmaster cow (ignore her angus sired midget, it's the only photo I had) :

PB300192.jpg

her Charolais sired daughter :

P8090081.jpg

another Charolais sired heifer from a Limi x Beefmaster cow :

P8040091a.jpg

that's a nice set of crosses you have, your (bm*lim)*Char seems to be working well for you. i bet they didn't cost $10,000 like some of them bogus angus do either.

We have two Charolais cows from my father-in-law's herd. The rest of our cows and bull are Limousin.
Each year our Charolais have had nice calves. Our original bull carried the red gene and black gene so the calves would be either tan or smoky.
We have kept two smoky heifers. One is due to calve mid April and the second one is in the heifer replacement pen.
Temperment is not a problem in our herd. There are quite a few that I can walk up to and feel their bag or run my hands along their sides. Not to say we haven't had a crazy one. A couple years back we had a really nice heifer out of an AI bull that was totally wacky. She got a one way ticket to Laura's Lean Beef. :lol:
Here's a couple of pics from last year. Sorry they are so bad. The first two pictures are of the bull calf. The last picture has the yearling smoky walking next to her full sister.

charcalvesSmall.jpg

charxsteerSmall.jpg

152calfSmall.jpg

MikeC":18y8vzs8 said:
jaydill":18y8vzs8 said:

Char X the Super Baldies and Brangus work for me.

Growthy, Tough, and hit all the grid targets too.
Super Baldies? Just a herf x angus or something different?

Thanks for all the replies, and the pictures. I like the looks of both the straight char x lim cross as well as the lim x beefmaster x char. I'm trying to decide just how I'd like to cross a couple char heifers in order to come out with good quality cattle that can double both on pasture or be sold as show club calves.

randiliana":12ii775i said:
MikeC":12ii775i said:

Sometimes known as Herf X Brangus.

Ha, that is interesting!! Up here Super Baldies are Simmintal x Angus (red or black). Usually 5/8 to 3/8 cross too!!

There aren't many "white-faced" sims left down here. And not that many herefords either. :?:

MikeC":3chrdvh9 said:
There aren't many "white-faced" sims left down here. And not that many herefords either. :?:

Honestly, a lot of the "super baldies" only have a little white on their faces. Maybe a star or white around the muzzle. Not many are actually bald faced. I am not really into the simmental side of things, so I really can't comment on how common the white faced simmentals are around here.

randiliana":38a6s8o3 said:
MikeC":38a6s8o3 said:

Sometimes known as Herf X Brangus.

Ha, that is interesting!! Up here Super Baldies are Simmintal x Angus (red or black). Usually 5/8 to 3/8 cross too!!
I've always heard a Simmental x Angus like that (5/8 to 3/8 ) referred to as a Simangus. The herf x brangus would make a little more sense to me as being referred to as a Super Baldy.

where you been Wewild?

shes i'd guesstimate about 3/4 charolais and 1/4 limousin

Beefy":4w5ykygw said:
where you been Wewild?

shes i'd guesstimate about 3/4 charolais and 1/4 limousin

Thanks for missing me.

I thought she must be something other than heavily Lim or the calf would have been yellow.