Charolais X Simmental calf

Help Support CattleToday:

jb50

Reaction score
I have a Simmental heifer that got bred by a Charolais/Angus bull (he was yellow with hints of black in the head & chest). She had her calf today, a steel grey bull calf with curly hair (also feet knuckling under). I'm not real educated on cross breeding. Can anyone give me any insight on this cross. How will he finish out and will the meat be good quality for freezer beef?
While trying to find some info on the web, my google search also brought up 'Rat tailed calves'. Can anyone give me insight on that?
TIA

The calf will be alright to butcher should grow good. You may not need any info on rat tails just wait a while you might have one. Not wrong with rat tails just look a little different.

Red Bull Breeder":22h7sevr said:
The calf will be alright to butcher should grow good. You may not need any info on rat tails just wait a while you might have one. Not wrong with rat tails just look a little different.
Should taste just fine !! :tiphat:

Time for the "rat tail" opinions. This is not a good cross IMO. The color and the hair is from the Simmental. Whether you have a "rat tail" or not is unknown with out pics. The curly hair is a positive sign. I don't agree that "rat tail" perform and the results are the same as normal cattle.

The peformace will likely be something like a simmi, and beef quality too. Do not worry.

Thanks for input. Biggest concern now is getting his feet normal. Back feet are almost normal, fronts are less steady and knuckle over yet. It makes it hard for him to nurse because he's wobbling around. Hios tail looks normal now. Maybe I can get a pic in awhile. Thanks

jb50":kcjznfi2 said:
I have a Simmental heifer that got bred by a Charolais/Angus bull (he was yellow with hints of black in the head & chest). She had her calf today, a steel grey bull calf with curly hair (also feet knuckling under). I'm not real educated on cross breeding. Can anyone give me any insight on this cross. How will he finish out and will the meat be good quality for freezer beef?
While trying to find some info on the web, my google search also brought up 'Rat tailed calves'. Can anyone give me insight on that?
TIA
First of all --- Charolais rank in the high growth, high lean, zero marbling, large framed, zero BF, low feed efficiency category and this is why they cross them with Angus to bring up the desireable meat traits and for the love of God bring down those frame scores.

Second of all; is your heifer a red fleckvieh Simm or PB Simm? If she is and carries the Diluter gene then yes, sometimes you will have the rat-tailed calf with curly hair and I have even seen them completely lose their hair later in life. Rat-tail calves are typically slow gainers and therefore need to be taken out of the gene pool, because no one wants them.

Third-- see one and two -- will not be good freezer beef --- sell sell sell

And Last--- If this heifer is a red diluter you need to breed her to a Red Non-diluter Simm Bull like:
WS Beef Maker or Red Dream or better yet a good Angus like SS Objective or Blue Moon 4407M

Ed

jb50":rypuql49 said:
TIA

Sure sounds familiar. Does it look anything like this one?

cow008.jpg
cow008.jpg
[/img]

mnmtranching said:
Time for the "rat tail" opinions. This is not a good cross IMO. The color and the hair is from the Simmental. Whether you have a "rat tail" or not is unknown with out pics. The curly hair is a positive sign. I don't agree that "rat tail" perform and the results are the same as normal cattle.[/quote] the few ive had do fine on momas teat and grass, they wont perform the same in feedlot out west in colder climate's

alacattleman":292drbwi said:
mnmtranching":292drbwi said:
Time for the "rat tail" opinions. This is not a good cross IMO. The color and the hair is from the Simmental. Whether you have a "rat tail" or not is unknown with out pics. The curly hair is a positive sign. I don't agree that "rat tail" perform and the results are the same as normal cattle.[/quote] the few ive had do fine on momas teat and grass, they wont perform the same in feedlot out west in colder climate's

A while back, must be about 20 years. I got a great deal on six rat tail heifers. [first time experience] Nothing but loss with these, 2 died in the winter and the others I finally dumped them for a cull price.
NO, I will NEVER give positive advice about a "rat tail". And I know the breeding the cattle were.

I've got a rat tail heifer calve that's going in the freezer NOV. an If the cow has another rat tail next spring she's going to the sell barn.

Some cattle have a little curl but the coat looks OK. I have some Balancer sired calves that look like this.
In other cases folks talk about "true" rat tails with a very thin coat that obviously suffer in the cold. Seem to usually be Char crosses.
What are your thoughts on this?

curtis":18njvfb5 said:
I've got a rat tail heifer calve that's going in the freezer NOV. an If the cow has another rat tail next spring she's going to the sell barn.
well itll happen again count on it, if you dont , not her fault completely nor my cows she has great calves,, i could clean it up with a homozygious black bull, she'll throw strait black calves with them and brangus, but im trimmin' the ears back and using a angus right now

alacattleman":139dd53o said:
curtis":139dd53o said:
well itll happen again count on it, if you dont , not her fault completely nor my cows she has great calves,, i could clean it up with a homozygious black bull, she'll throw strait black calves with them and brangus, but im trimmin' the ears back and using a angus right now

She's breed to my brangus bull for a spring calve.

curtis":21mi0qwp said:
alacattleman":21mi0qwp said:
curtis":21mi0qwp said:

She's breed to my brangus bull for a spring calve.
will this be the first time to him

First of all --- Charolais rank in the high growth, high lean, zero marbling, large framed, zero BF, low feed efficiency category and this is why they cross them with Angus to bring up the desireable meat traits and for the love of God bring down those frame scores.
Might want to study up on charolais a little bit... they are crossed with angus to get angus to grow faster... charolais have moderated their frames and improved marbling. as far as feed efficiency goes, 4-5 lbs of gain a day in the feed lot is pretty darn good... most chars are converting 5 to 1 on feed to pounds gained...

Also a char angus cross will be smokey colored with a dark nose.. no spots if they were both purebred before crossing them.....

deenranch":1o7kgnbi said:
Might want to study up on charolais a little bit... they are crossed with angus to get angus to grow faster... charolais have moderated their frames and improved marbling. as far as feed efficiency goes, 4-5 lbs of gain a day in the feed lot is pretty darn good... most chars are converting 5 to 1 on feed to pounds gained...

Also a char angus cross will be smokey colored with a dark nose.. no spots if they were both purebred before crossing them.....

I beg to differ. I had a calf born out of an Angus cow and Charolais bull that was dirty white, with a brownish black nose and brownish black hooves. Other than that it looked like charolais in every way.

quote]I beg to differ. I had a calf born out of an Angus cow and Charolais bull that was dirty white, with a brownish black nose and brownish black hooves. Other than that it looked like charolais in every way.[[/quote]

That's called a "SMOKEY"!!!! Dark nose, dark hooves, and smokey color (dirty white)

Latest posts