charolais x shorthorn

Help Support CattleToday:

MF135

Reaction score
I am looking to purchase 20 shorthorn heifers out of Roll, OK. The sires of these heifers are Stout Counter Point and a son of Captain Obvious. Has anyone had any experience with the shorthorn x charolais cross calves? Will all the calves be white?

MF135":1wdppsga said:
I am looking to purchase 20 shorthorn heifers out of Roll, OK. The sires of these heifers are Stout Counter Point and a son of Captain Obvious. Has anyone had any experience with the shorthorn x charolais cross calves? Will all the calves be white?

The calves would be all white only if the heifers all all white. Most Shorthorns are red, roan, or red and white. Charolais dilutes red to yellow, so the calves should turn out yellow or yellow and white.

MF135":3gb2fhtf said:
Do you mean Roff Ok? Just curious.

Isomade":1ri9wbwp said:
MF135":1ri9wbwp said:
Do you mean Roff Ok? Just curious.
No, Roll, Oklahoma. They are your state Congressman Frank Lucas' shorthorn heifers.

What I meant to ask was will all the calves be a diluter color and not roan or spotted. I feel I can get these cattle at a discount(imo) to what other breeds' registered heifers would bring because of their spots. I'm hoping the charolais will throw solids as roans/spotteds get docked pretty bad around here.

I use Charolais bulls and so do most of my friends. Though I have never bred to short horn specifically, I think Van hit it on the head.

MF135":1brbr9me said:
No, Roll, Oklahoma. They are your state Congressman Frank Lucas' shorthorn heifers.

What I meant to ask was will all the calves be a diluter color and not roan or spotted. I feel I can get these cattle at a discount(imo) to what other breeds' registered heifers would bring because of their spots. I'm hoping the charolais will throw solids as roans/spotteds get docked pretty bad around here.

Well, they should all be the diluter color. But you will still get roans, they will be shades of tan though rather than red. As far as spots go, that will all depend on your Char bull, if he doesn't carry the spotting gene then there should be no spotted calves.

It should be difficult to notice if a dun animal is also a roan, the white hairs from the roan colourin blends more with the yellow than with the red hair. White markings will show on a yellow animal too, so there is no quick fix. A solid red shorthorn bred to a char gives you a solid yellow calf.
So shorthorn cows bred to charolais bull turns out like this:
Red cow, yellow calf.
Red cow with white markings, yellow calf with or without markings.
roan cow, yellow or yellow/roan calf.
white cow( homozygous roan), yellow/roan calf. One of few situations where a white cow and a white bull produces non white offspring.

I own Captain Obvious, I have emailed with the breeders a few times over the yrs. I cannot speak for the Stout Commander bull - but CO is linebred solid red for a few generations.
If I am not mistaken the son Lucas's used is out of a cujo daughter and there is some red with white markings in that pedigree.
I bet you'll get yellow or honey colored calves, possibly with some white patches if some of the daughters were red and white. I have a char X COXRA calf due in the spring??
Would love to hear how the CO granddaugthers are doing - I can provide as much information as you need. Feel free to email me - [email protected]

We used a Charolais bull (Rio Bravo if it makes any diferance) over five roan cows of unknown background and got all light cream/straw colored calves. In that same bunch of cows there were some roan-ish herefords that threw cream calves with white face.

susie q":ouhbwjjb said:
I own Captain Obvious, I have emailed with the breeders a few times over the yrs. I cannot speak for the Stout Commander bull - but CO is linebred solid red for a few generations.
If I am not mistaken the son Lucas's used is out of a cujo daughter and there is some red with white markings in that pedigree.
I bet you'll get yellow or honey colored calves, possibly with some white patches if some of the daughters were red and white. I have a char X COXRA calf due in the spring??
Would love to hear how the CO granddaugthers are doing - I can provide as much information as you need. Feel free to email me - [email protected]
Susie Q,

CO is an impressive bull! About half of Lucas' heifers are red and half with spots of which maybe 3-4 are roans. With CO being red I assumed the solid heifers were his line but Mrs. Lucas said it was the opposite- all the spotted calves were. Evidently this is from the Cujo blood. I have several pics I will email you of the the calves with the cows. Thank you for your reply!

The Char bull I bought last month is out of M6 Led Weight 609 AICA# M732626 and M6 Ms Duke 340PLD AICA#F990836. I'm not sure if he carries a spotting gene(?) or if this is only varifiable through bloodwork? I haven't gotten the epd's on him yet so I don't know about his BW or CE epd. Perhaps he's not even suitable for heifers. In that case I'd plan on using my Gelbvieh (Lieutenant Gov son)on them this spring.

MF135,

Good job on picking a good performance bull with good birth weight and calving numbers for commercial cows of British breeding The bull you bought should have good projected EPDs given those that his dam and sire have. I would not use him on heifers since he does have any calves out of him to see how he actually does calving particularly on grade British type heifers. Bulls with his likely EPD profile have been used on well grown out purebred heifers but this not the case here.

Use a good calving ease Red Angus bull and you will have solid colored calves (Durham Reds). The heifers and steers will both sell well.

Reds":1kvvires said:
Use a good calving ease Red Angus bull and you will have solid colored calves (Durham Reds). The heifers and steers will both sell well.

Not necessarily. Unless the SH cows are solid red and sometimes even then you will still get some paints, and roans out of a RA bull. I KNOW this to be true I have been watching it happen in my buddies cowherd for going on 4 years now. It's darned near impossible to knock the chrome off a shorthorn.

3waycross":xbj86l28 said:
Reds":xbj86l28 said:

Not necessarily. Unless the SH cows are solid red and sometimes even then you will still get some paints, and roans out of a RA bull. I KNOW this to be true I have been watching it happen in my buddies cowherd for going on 4 years now. It's darned near impossible to knock the chrome off a shorthorn.

I am going to agree with 3waycross - Red with white marks are difficult to change. We have RA too and Roan is almost better then Red with white marks. I do agree with the suggestion of Red Angus bull - love the cross.

3waycross":1fm33ezr said:
Reds":1fm33ezr said:

I've seen it, too. A friend of mine has a few Shorthorn cows and still gets some roans when he puts an Angus bull on them, even the solid red ones. According to him, some Shorthorns that appear to be solid red actually carry the roan gene, but there is so little white on them that they appear to be solid red. These will still throw roan calves about half the time when bred to a solid colored bull.

3waycross":ikjds96d said:
It's darned near impossible to knock the chrome off a shorthorn.

HAHAHAHA... very well put.. it's the same with getting the white face out of a hereford

I don't mind a white mark.. makes them a bit easier to tell apart when they lose their tags, I don' t like roans with too much white, but a nice red roan is well.. nice.. white bellies are OK for me as well

Latest posts