Charolais X Murray Grey

Help Support CattleToday:

TREY-L

Reaction score
I am curious what the members think of this pairing as a terminal cross.
Does anyone have any pictures of this cross?
Doc, try to keep it under 500 words.

Thanks

I have not seen this particular corss, but I would think it would result in a very thick animal, with the offspring possibly having a larger frame than the MG.

Katherine

Sorry I dont have any pics for you but I love this cross.

In my experience you get a grey animal which is more muscled than the murray grey but softer than the charry. I have done this for terminal only. Good steers, grow out and finish on grass, PROVIDED you use the right style of MG and Charolais.

TREY-L":21rzp73k said:
I am curious what the members think of this pairing as a terminal cross.
Does anyone have any pictures of this cross?
Doc, try to keep it under 500 words.

Thanks

OK.

VERY TERMINAL!

No Pictures.

DOC HARRIS

There has been suspicions a few years ago that a couple of the notable show interbreed wins by Murray Greys were by bulls that had Charolais influence. They were just to big,that why they won. This was before the interbreed onslaught by Charolais and big Angus.It would be easy to slip a Charolais into a grey herd,especially over the darker coloured greys. We have a neighbour that uses Charolais over Angus. His herd looks like a Murray Grey herd. Nevertheless it would be a good terminal cross.
Colin

I run angus x charolais cows in varying percentages. Looking at pictures and descriptions of MGs, I can tell no difference from my cows, size or otherwise. I'm thinking I might AI a heifer or two to a MG bull just for $hits and giggles to see what I get. If I like what I see, my next bull will probably be a MG. Not trying to imply anything, just thinking that a MG bull on my cows would produce calves that looked like they were clones.