Charolais X hereford

Help Support CattleToday:

brimmer X

Reaction score
I just sold my first bunch of calves for this year. I used a hereford bull on charolais cows. I was very pleased with the results. One group of steers brought the highest price per pound for there weight group. I was just curious, have any of you people on here tried the cross and what was your experience?

I think a good charolais bull on the right set of hereford cows is going to be hard to beat.

Just out of curiosity, have you got straight charolais calves to compare performance with?

Last year I sold calves on March the 8th. My best group brought $1.27 a lb. This March the 7th, my best group brought $1.825. 2010 calves were straight Char calves. I was very pleased this year.

My Char cows are being bred this year to a Braunvieh bull, of which I plan to keep the heifers. I will still have a very marketable steer crop. For the long haul, this should give me some more efficient and better milking females. I would not rule out using a hereford again to cross back on those heifers.

I use a hereford for 1st and 2nd calf charolais cows. the resulting F1's make good cows just havnt decided on a good breed of bull to breed them to. Brimmer it will be interesting to see the calves from braunviehXcharolais...is it a black braunvieh?

Buckeye, it is a fullblood braunvieh, so it is their natural color. I have seen a few pictures of the cross, and they retain most of the charolais color, but have a black nose and hoof. I'm banking on it,for me, it was the best bull I could find within a reasonable distance. I sure hope it turns out. I like Charolais cattle, but really like the looks and traits of a good Braunvieh cow.

brimmer X":3uydsdbb said:
I was just curious, have any of you people on here tried the cross and what was your experience?

Very nice calves but they sell at a discount here. I buy them but I don't raise them.
Char cows are usually big eaters...

I have some angus heifers, charloais heifers,and some red angus X simmental cross cows...would a hereford bull work or what kind of bull do I need?

A hereford bull should work very well for you, just buy a quality bull with enough muscle and not too late maturing. A number of breeds could work equally well, the same criteria would apply to them as well

black":3j47emq1 said:
If I put a Hereford bull on a Charlay cow will the calf be yellow?

Yes, it should come out a yellow baldie. I personally haven't had alot of experience with them but nearly everyone I've talked to claims they make good cows, and the steers sell pretty good as well

Latest posts